#212797 Jun 1st, 2008 at 06:54 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
wavy

Have any of you ever read Susan Howatch? When I was young I really enjoyed her book Penmarric. Then of course I had to read the entire later series... Mystical Paths, Absolute Truths, Scandalous Risks, Ultimate Prizes, Glittering Images, Glamorous Powers....

I still like to re-read those every now and then.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Merme #213041 Jun 2nd, 2008 at 06:12 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Maxi enjoys reading a series of book all about Star Wars. The stories concern all the familiar characters during times not covered in the movies, such as their childhood. LOTS of details you wouldn't know otherwise. Each book is about 200 pages, so they are the perfect size. They are well written enough most of the time that I enjoy reading them aloud to him also.

But once in a while when I do find something that is off a bit, I can point it out to him and talk about it, helping him become a better writer himself. The other day we came across a sentence "He came across the room and hugged him." I explained that it isn't really a good idea to use two pronouns in the same sentence because then the reader can't know which person went across the room and gave the hug.

Reading aloud inspires a vast assortment of conversations!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
Merme #213045 Jun 2nd, 2008 at 06:21 AM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I just can't bring myself to re-read a book. I like to get used books cheap, read them, then I donate to the library. Or, I'll check out books from the library.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket #213055 Jun 2nd, 2008 at 07:16 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I haven't read a book in ages, DD is an avid reader though. It seems just when I get interested in it, I have to do something then the book just sits and I ever get back into it.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #213060 Jun 2nd, 2008 at 07:48 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Originally Posted by cricket
I just can't bring myself to re-read a book.

Most books I can not read again, either. But there have been certain books I've met in my lifetime that have been so beloved, they are well worth the re-read. How Green Was My Valley was one of those.

Originally Posted by tamara
I haven't read a book in ages.

Tam girl, you need to set aside time for just you. Perhaps next fall once she is safely away at college, you will have some extra time to dedicate to luxuriating in a worthwhile book.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #213076 Jun 2nd, 2008 at 09:23 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Originally Posted by Merme

But there have been certain books I've met in my lifetime that have been so beloved, they are well worth the re-read.

Merme

How true, I remember those 'Little House on the Prairie' books as a child, they got re-read hundreds of times. I still look for a set when I go to yard sales.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Sunflowers #213079 Jun 2nd, 2008 at 09:42 AM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
Originally Posted by tamara
'Little House on the Prairie' books as a child, they got re-read hundreds of times. I still look for a set when I go to yard sales.

well written and WHOLESOME along with some history of the culture of our past. I love reading those to the kids.

Cricket

cricket #213312 Jun 3rd, 2008 at 12:52 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I loved the Little House books when I was young and so does Maxi. We plan to get the other series written much later about Laura's mother and grandmother.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #213315 Jun 3rd, 2008 at 01:00 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
flwr OFFICIAL NOTICE! flwr

Merme is now Cricket's Mommy!

Rules for having Merme as Mommy:

1) Each day you must have some fun and at least a little adventure.

2) You never have to eat lima beans if you hate them really bad.

3) You get one fake bad dream coupon a month and can use it to con me into staying up late and telling stories or reading aloud.

4) Be prepared for anything because Merme/Mommy likes to invent happy surprises.

kissie

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #213333 Jun 3rd, 2008 at 01:49 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
aaawwwwww.....I've only been a part of this forum for a few months and already feel like family!
Who wants to be my sister, brother, cousin...????...(just no inlaws, please!)!!!!
I'll even eat the lima beans, but please do not force me to eat spinach that has been cooked to mush!

Cricket

cricket #213334 Jun 3rd, 2008 at 01:52 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
have you read Summer of the Monkeys to maxi, merme? I believe he is a bit older than my son, buy not by much. It is written by the same author that wrote Where the Red Fern Grows. my kids (and me) especially loved that book!

Cricket

cricket #213336 Jun 3rd, 2008 at 02:08 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
No, I haven't read The Summer of The Monkeys to Maxi. I will ask him about it for he may know of it. Maxi is 12. We enjoyed Where The Red Fern Grows.

I'm with ya 100% on spinach cooked to mush!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #213764 Jun 5th, 2008 at 05:39 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Is Summer Of The Monkeys about the boy who is trying to earn money to buy a horse and ends up capturing escaped monkeys from a circus train for the reward?

When I asked Maxi if he ever heard of that title, he said "Yes, Mommy, we have the movie! We just watched it last week!" THEN I remembered that DVD. So now I'm wondering if it is the same story.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #213786 Jun 5th, 2008 at 07:46 AM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Don't tell Mark I said this, but I read Tuesdays with Morrie to him. He didn't want me to at first but he got into it after a few chapters. I knew he wouldn't read it himself and it was such a touching story and moved me, and I wanted him to hear it.

I just finished reading a book that my Nana sent me.....Joan Jonker, Many a Tear Has To Fall.

Very touching story about a family in Liverpool. It's always so neat because it's full of English words that I know....and English expressions. They always take place in Liverpool because that's where she grew up.

My Nana loves to read like I do, and she always sends me the best books out of her collection. clap

Merme #213794 Jun 5th, 2008 at 08:09 AM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
"Yes, Mommy, we have the movie! We just watched it last week!" THEN I remembered that DVD.Merme

lol Sounds like something I'd do.
yes, it is the same story. of course the book is better. we were dissapointed in the movie. it didn't touch the heart of the story at all. but, it did give us an opportunity to compare and contrast the things that were different.

I just started reading Hatchet, by Gary Paulsen, to my kids. I had to MAKE them sit and listen to the first chapter, but now they are hooked.

Cricket

cricket #214073 Jun 6th, 2008 at 07:05 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
of course the book is better. we were dissapointed in the movie. it didn't touch the heart of the story at all.

Cricket ~ that is how we felt about the book and movie Christie. The book was marvelous, the movie was trite. I am going to read Maxi the book this summer.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #214467 Jun 8th, 2008 at 06:45 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Nevil Shute, the Australian author, published On The Beach in 1957, the year after I was born. A couple of years later they made a movie of it starring Gregory Peck and Ava Garner. I remember reading the book for the first time when I was in high school. It was a very poignant, memorable account of a post-apocolypse world at the end of WWIII, set in 1964.

Yesterday the original movie (I thnk there was a remake in 2000) was on TV without commerical interuption and I thought Maxi would enjoy it. Although there are hole in the plot line, Shute's characters are worth getting to know and very dear as they are in all his work.

First Maxi noted that the film was in black & white and wanted to know how to tell what color the actors are? I explained we were seeing white people on the screen just then. He said "so where are the black actors?" I explained the film was made in 1959 and there probably weren't any. He got annoyed. Then when he figured out the end was total annihilation of mankind, he called it a "stupid movie" and refused to watch it!

Surprisingly, he wasn't interested at all in the character study of people facing doom. He would have watched it happily if at least one person survived ... um, maybe by rocketing to Mars or someplace. We've watched so many films of this genre, I was startled by his reaction to this one.

Still, I think it is a very good "read" and also an excellent film.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #215086 Jun 10th, 2008 at 12:52 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
We've watched so many films of this genre, I was startled by his reaction to this one.
Still, I think it is a very good "read" and also an excellent film.
Merme

Maybe it was because he couldn't identify with it very well? no black actors among other things that weren't in the movie because of the year it was made? If there were too many distracting elements like that in the story (for him) I can see where he would have a hard time buying into any of it.
Kudos in even getting him to watch a black and white movie! thumbup I've tried to get my kids to watch some of the classics that are in black and white and they just can't get interested in them.

Cricket

Merme #215256 Jun 11th, 2008 at 12:07 PM
wavy

Have any of you ever read Susan Howatch? When I was young I really enjoyed her book Penmarric. Then of course I had to read the entire later series... Mystical Paths, Absolute Truths, Scandalous Risks, Ultimate Prizes, Glittering Images, Glamorous Powers....

I still like to re-read those every now and then.

Merme

Some of those book titles sound very familiar. I'll have to hunt up some info about them and refresh my memory. zoink

Kalar

"Make Known the Unknown."
Merme #215260 Jun 11th, 2008 at 12:49 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
Cricket ~ that is how we felt about the book and movie Christie. The book was marvelous, the movie was trite. I am going to read Maxi the book this summer.
Merme

my cousin is a 5th grade teacher (specializes in reading and history) and gave me some sugguestions for books that are good 'read aloud' books she might think I'd like to read to the kids this summer. anyone heard of these? The Giver, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, the Invention of Hugo Cabret, The Page Master. (she couldn't remember the authors off hand)

Cricket

cricket #215794 Jun 14th, 2008 at 06:19 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I haven't heard of any of them, Cricket, but thanks for the list! Maxi might be interested.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #217379 Jun 21st, 2008 at 10:55 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Today Maxi and I were researching true adventure stories that might interest a boy of his age. I immediately thought of "Annapurna" by Herzog and "Kon Tiki" by Heyderhal (spelling?) because I read both when I was young and was enthralled.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #219657 Jul 1st, 2008 at 10:28 PM
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
If you like horror/suspense/psychological thriller type books I just read Shadowman by Cody McFayden and loved it! Kept me in suspense on who the bad guy was until almost the end of the book.

Loz, have you read the Twilight series at all? If not, I highly recommend them to you.

Plant smiles, grow giggles, harvest love.
cricket #219949 Jul 3rd, 2008 at 06:22 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I just can't bring myself to re-read a book. I like to get used books cheap, read them, then I donate to the library. Or, I'll check out books from the library.

I read mysteries--fiction--and if it is a good mystery I can re-read again & again.---I espoecially not being wble to decipher who the villian is.--if I can it is not a good book to me.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #220195 Jul 5th, 2008 at 09:23 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Carol Jean ~ do you like Agatha Christie?

Cheryl ~ We can't do "spooky and scary" in our house because it really bothers Maxi. But every once in a while I don't mind it for myself.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image