Rate Thread
#213281 Jun 3rd, 2008 at 08:47 AM
melcon6 Offline OP
WildRedRidingHood
4k Posts
OP Offline
WildRedRidingHood
4k Posts
I found a robin's nest in my rhododendron last week. There were two lil babies in it and the parent's kept going in there with worms. They would yell at me and swoop if I got too close. They were brand new babies, still with tiny baby feathers and they could barely lift their heads up and didn't cry all the time , like bigger, hungrier babies do. Today I went to check on them and they are GONE!!! It was too soon and I know they weren't big enough to fly yet. What could have happened to them???? why tears

[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
the snake got them.

melcon6 Offline OP
WildRedRidingHood
4k Posts
OP Offline
WildRedRidingHood
4k Posts
I think you may be right Sheri. I didn't think I had snakes big enough to eat two baby robins, eeekkkkkkk, it gives me the creeps just thinking about it.

Here's the empty nest, poor lil things.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
"I" et 'em.

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)
Patriot
10k Posts
Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
You never know though Mel. We had a nest in our outside building with 3 eggs in it. We couldn't figure out how the mother got in and out to build the nest. We never saw her. Then we decided she must have been killed somehow because we started watching the building and never saw her sitting on the nest. The other day Johnny was in the building and was going to throw the nest out and the eggs were gone but there were feathers left behind. So our babies must have hatched.

Maybe it was long enough for your robins to fly away.

The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Some baby birds mature VERY fast. Eastern bluebirds (As do ALL birds) lay one egg a day for 4 or 5 days. The Mother then incubates them for 5 days and they hatch. After 13 more days they babies have fledged and have learned to fly and then leave the nest box. Momma bluebird often relines the same nest box with a new layer of grass and starts on her second batch of eggs. All the new babies stick around with dad and when the SECOND batch hatch, they help mom and dad feed the NEW babies. A female bluebird often produces 4 batches of young each season. I saw a pair of bluebirds across the street from my house around Easter of this year. I went back YESTERDAY and counted about SIX! Mom and Dad have been busy!

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,933
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image