Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#21333 Apr 13th, 2007 at 09:26 AM
OP Offline
Hi,
I'm TexasJim from San Antonio. Just joined a few minutes ago so don't really know where to go to post stuff yet.

I know the following doesn't go in this introduction forum but don't know where to post it so I'm posting it here and hoping for the best

I'm interested in planting a split-leaf philodendron in my front yard, philodendron selloum to be exact. I understand this variety gets about ten feet wide when mature. I've found some at a local nursery in three gallon cans. They're labeled as philodendron selloum but don't have a split leaf. They have a rather narrow leaf about 6 - 8 inches long with non-undulated edges. Is this natural for young selloum? Will the leaves get the "split" edges as they mature?

The selloum will be planted in clay soil in a semi-shady area. The soil here is pretty alkaline as well. Are these plants fast growers? I hope so. How long does it take for one to reach about six feet tall or wide? Any special handling because of the alkaline, clay soil.

One final note: the three gallon selloum at the local nursery is $29.95. It looks pretty healthy. Is this a fair asking price? I ask because there's not another nursery anywhere near so this one has very little competition.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

It's not paranoia if they're really sneaking up on yah!
#21680 Apr 13th, 2007 at 03:37 PM
Giggles
20k Posts
Giggles
20k Posts
Hi Tex....er,..Jim!

Happy to have you here. I know someone will be along with answers to your questions. This place is loaded with a wealth of knowledgable people. And friendly. And funny.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
Shirley4 #22281 Apr 14th, 2007 at 05:34 AM
MLN Offline
Hi TexasJim and welcome to the forum. I have a split leaf philodendron growing in a very big clay pot on my front porch (gets a little too cold here to put it in the ground). It already had split leaves when I bought it in a 1 gal. pot at Home Depot. It has weathered two winters on my porch (southern exposure) rather nicely so far. It died back to just the heart (I left all the dead leaves as protection) but comes back real well in the spring when I clean it up. It gets bigger each summer. Last summer it grew to approx. 3 1/2 feet tall by the end of summer. Can't wait to see what it does this year. If you can't find one to buy over there, I will look at mine and see if perhaps I could dig out a start for you. Let me know.

[Linked Image]
Nature Lover
MLN #22477 Apr 14th, 2007 at 11:39 AM
OP Offline
Hi All,
Thanks for the welcome.

Hi MLN,
I've also found some split-leaf philodendron here that are at present small and actually have split leaves. However, they're not labeled as selloum which some environmental types locally say grows well in this area and in the shady location where I will put it. The problem is I'm worried the plant I've found labeled selloum might be mislabeled since the leaves are not split (undulated).

It's not paranoia if they're really sneaking up on yah!
TexasJim #23657 Apr 16th, 2007 at 06:06 AM
5k Posts
5k Posts
hi texeajim wavy
welcome to the fourm!!

[Linked Image]
sibyl #27080 Apr 20th, 2007 at 02:23 AM
10k Posts
10k Posts
Hi Texasjim, Welcome to the forum!!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens".

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,878
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image