Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#213817 Jun 5th, 2008 at 09:33 AM
OP Offline
Hello everyone. I stumbled on the Gardener's Forum quite by accident while looking for information on growing potatoes. I sort of faked it by using other gardener's advice from work. I should have known. I think I have really over planted my potatoe patch. I was advised to get the potatoes ready and that I see I have done well. But I placed them in a row not more than 8 inches apart, inbetween the green beans and the sqash. About 18 " from the closest bean and nearly 3 feet from the sqash. The pieces of potatos were planted just like regular seeds out of a package. The plants are already coming up. Cute little things, great leaf. Oh well. live and learn. I have almost always had a small garden since my husband and I had moved in. And almost always a raised garden. Our soil is great for a rock garden but not much else unless you want to open a pottery barn. (lots of clay)Mostly tomatoes and radishes. We actually created a new raised garden this year. Nearly 18 inches deep and with good garden loamy soil. So I could plant to my hearts content. The kids are gone now creating kids and gardens of thier own. We live in a weather mild area and have a very nice growing season. But now that I can experiment with new things, I think I've gone a little garden woozy. (I am told that is a valid desease that effects those who go overboard in the garden.)I appreciate all that I have learned already from the postings that I have peruse so far. Keep up the good work . I think I need it. LOL Can't wait until fall for the harvest. I guess one of the kids has not left home yet. Me.

mdnewbie #213839 Jun 5th, 2008 at 10:51 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Northern Star
30k Posts
Hi and welcome mdnewbie. We have all made mistakes when first starting to garden, trust me it's a live and learn experience. I live.... and here I learn grin

I plant my veggie rows 18 inches apart....and if your planning on digging up big clumps of potatoes than don't worry about the 8 inches apart, next year you can plant them further for better growing conditions.

I still overplant my veggie garden...seems like I just can't stand to see bare ground. lol

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #213945 Jun 5th, 2008 at 06:00 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
wavy welcome mdnewbie. we have another western marylander here, loz, one of the hostesses. the two of will have to compare notes!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,885
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image