Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#213843 Jun 5th, 2008 at 11:22 AM
OP Offline
Hi there everyone,

I have had a Yukka plant for about 5 years now and it has been doing really well. Last year, we moved house and as I was told that the plant loves the sunshine, I put it on the window ledge in our front room. In my previous house, we didn't have much natural light, so I always tried to position it where it was near to the windows.

When I started putting it in the window, the leaves started going brown and dead-looking! So, I moved it into our hallway, where it has a goodb source of natural light but is not in direct sunlight. I went onto a different 'gardening/plant' website before (finding this one) and asked for advice on where I should position it so that it would revitalise and look healthy again. Anyway, a guy replied saying that he puts all of his house plants outside during the summer and advised me to do the same. So, this is what I did and have since brought it back in the house because it looked terrible! The leaves went white/silver in colour and have dried up and died.

After bringing it back in, the leaves died and turned a black/brown colour. Today, I have decided to cut the dead leaves off (although I'm not sure if this was the right thing to do) but now the poor thing looks naked and poorly!! It does have it's new shoots at the top, but will this be enough to keep it alive?

I don't want it to die because it's one of my favourite plants!

Please help!

Thanks ever so much,

Hazel.

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Hi Hazel - welcome to the best gardening forum on the "net"!

I have only grown yuccas outside here in NY - I didn't even know that it could be grown indoors? I have the green and yellow variegated variety and they need full sun.

Would you be able to post a picture of your plant?
It would help us get a better idea of what is going on with it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1k Posts
1k Posts
plants get used to an environment and then resist change. I imagine it was getting drey and sun burned in the window. ereturn it to the original conditions and move little by little.

I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

Indoor Yucca is sensitive to the cold (but outdoor Yucca is resistance), but is resistance to the low light density. So you can keep it in your house with no problem. And it is not necessary to keep it near the window. Somewhere cool and shadow is the best for indoor Yucca.
Sunburn is not a serious problem for this plant and just the end of the leaf goes yellow.
I think your plant had adapted to its previous situation and when you moved it to another place and then outdoor, it bothered the plant. Before moving your plant, try to introduce it to new situation gradually. Keep it in a situation and don't move it too much.
I suggest you to look for any disease on your plant. (Rust can be a problem in Yucca. It appears like small dark and brown spots on leaves, and in long period it make the plant to decay).

God gives and forgives, but we get and forget ...
za64 #221479 Jul 12th, 2008 at 09:31 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
some types of yucca are not cold hardy and must be kept inside if you live in an area where the winter gets to freezing.

if you have a plant in reduced lighting and then move it to where it is getting more full light, and you do the move without easing the plant into the brighter conditions, it'll burn. that's what happened when you moved to the new house.

moving the plant to outside, where it's getting even more intense lighting than indoors made things worse.

yucca are extremely hardy, so it should recover. may take a bit though.

put it back inside and try to duplicate the lighting conditions that it had at the old house. if you only have very brightly lit windows, put it on the far side of the room.

leave it be for a month to six weeks...don't even water it. let it just sit and get resituated. then start the watering schedule up again. i would leave it be in that one spot for about a total of six months...then think about moving it...and do so gradually.

by next summer it should be recovered and you can put it outside for the warm months...harden it off though, instead of just putting it outside.

hardening off means to gradually introduce the plant to brighter/less bright conditions. you'll want to move the plant closer to the window and let be for a week and then move it closer for another week and then put it outside in a bright but shaded spot (especially from the hot afternoon sun) and then, after a couple of weeks, start moving it (every few days) more into the direct sun.

reverse the process when it's time to put it back inside.

Zone 6b

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,887
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image