Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#213884 Jun 5th, 2008 at 04:12 PM
OP Offline
I need a little help on what to do with the potatoes I have planted in tires. I only have one tire and I have been mounding some dirt around the stalks as they come up so only leaves were showing, but they got a bit away from me...I have long stalks (~8in) now with lots of branches and leaves on them and am thinking it is time for the next tire on the stack. Do I need to remove any leaves from the stalks before mounding more dirt around them? Is it a problem if I didn't completely fill the first tire inside with dirt? I think I can still get some in, but the directions I followed didn't specify (and that was before I found this site) How do I feed my potato plants too? I put some food in when I planted them, but that was a month ago. Thank you for any help!

BTW, my squash and green bean plants are starting to get some holes in the leaves..is a bug eating these on me and what should I do about this? Thanks!

liveinlight #213887 Jun 5th, 2008 at 04:17 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I don't think it woulf hurt to go ahead and just put on another tire and then add the dirt---I think you might somehow hold the plant in place so it stays in the center of your tire opening??---that way there will be more room for potatoes to grow. that is the only problem I can see to letting the plants grow so high before covering it again.

I have no idea about the other.............

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #214029 Jun 6th, 2008 at 03:51 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Bill has the best instructions for potatoes...just click on the link.

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:CiTktOfWUSoJ:www.thegardenhelper.com/potato.html+planting+potatoes&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=ca

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Sunflowers #214409 Jun 7th, 2008 at 09:35 PM
I had some holes in the leaves of my kolrabe(sp) and when I turned the leaves over, I found some little green caterpillers wandering around. I just picked them off.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,917
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image