Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
DEJAS Offline OP
OP Offline

Last year the leaves were practically eaten completely except for the midrib and so it never bloomed. This year the leaves look deformed and curling with brown spots. Help please!!! ps I am in the midwest.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
hi Dejas,,

Could Be two things that I can think of,,
Of course I coulds be wrong on both accounts, But this is what I do when I see smypthoms as you discribe
No.1 Blight Where I believe my plant has it or not,, I clean the area up around its "foot base" I cut off all curled leaves, and destroy them and fresh soil to the the surface and "turn it in" sometimes if the same plant is in the same spot for years the soil looses certain nutients and becomes accessible to blight and other fungus or diseases they normally would fight better,,, So it's good to make sure what you have planted on the second year re admend the soil somewhat,, or move the plant, But be sure to always clean up around the plant at the first sign of anything wrong,, OH I also thought of spider mites too,, there are sooooo many things that can make leaf curl, but the brown spots is what made me think of blight. Are any of the leaves at the bottom the Stocks turning yellow and dropping?? You should go to you Local Nursery and take a leaf of what you have,, I would suggest you ask them to come out to the parking lot to view your leaf,, bacterial blight is contagious for other plants,, OR take a really good picture of it and take the picture to your nursery so they can recommend the correct spray/ treatment.

No.2 lack of magnesium
Magnesium (Mg) A lack of magnesium is characterized almost identically with iron deficiency but the older leaves, generally at the bottom of the plant, show marginal and interveinal reddening or yellowing with leaf base and midrib staying green. Later in the season interveinal necrosis may occur. Leaves may be brittle and thin with leaf curling and stunted growth.. In the fall as temperatures cool plants are unable to take up Mg and leaves will turn a purple color.
Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) can be used for magnesium deficiency. You can use it watering with a mix of 1-2 teaspoons or Epsom salts dissolved in 1 gallon of water or using the mix as foliar spray. Make 3 applications 6 weeks apart. Other treatments include adding fish meal, basic slag, greensand or dolomitic limestone.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
hi Dejas,,

Of course I could be wrong on both accounts, But this is what I do when I see sympthoms as you describe
No.1 Blight Where I believe my plant has it or not,, I clean the area up around its "foot base" I cut off all curled leaves, and destroy them and add fresh soil/compost to the surface and "turn it in" sometimes if the same plant is in the same spot for years the soil looses certain nutients and becomes accessible to blight and other fungus or diseases they normally would fight better,,, So it's good to make sure what you have planted on the second year re admend the soil somewhat,, or move the plant, But be sure to always clean up around the plant at the first sign of anything wrong,, OH I also thought of spider mites too,, there are sooooo many things that can make leaf curl, but the brown spots is what made me think of blight. Are any of the leaves at the bottom the Stocks turning yellow and dropping?? You should go to your Local Nursery and take a leaf of what you have,, I would suggest you ask them to come out to the parking lot to view your leaf,, bacterial blight is contagious for other plants,, OR take a really good picture of it and take the picture to your nursery so they can recommend the correct spray/ treatment.

No.2 lack of magnesium
Magnesium (Mg) A lack of magnesium is characterized almost identically with iron deficiency but the older leaves, generally at the bottom of the plant, show marginal and interveinal reddening or yellowing with leaf base and midrib staying green. Later in the season interveinal necrosis may occur. Leaves may be brittle and thin with leaf curling and stunted growth.. In the fall as temperatures cool plants are unable to take up Mg and leaves will turn a purple color.
Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) can be used for magnesium deficiency. You can use it watering with a mix of 1-2 teaspoons or Epsom salts dissolved in 1 gallon of water or using the mix as foliar spray. Make 3 applications 6 weeks apart. Other treatments include adding fish meal, basic slag, greensand or dolomitic limestone.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
hi Dejas,,

Of course I could be wrong on both accounts, But this is what I do when I see sympthoms as you describe
No.1 Blight Where I believe my plant has it or not,, I clean the area up around its "foot base" I cut off all curled leaves, and destroy them and add fresh soil/compost to the surface and "turn it in" sometimes if the same plant is in the same spot for years the soil looses certain nutients and becomes accessible to blight and other fungus or diseases they normally would fight better,,, So it's good to make sure what you have planted on the second year re admend the soil somewhat,, or move the plant, But be sure to always clean up around the plant at the first sign of anything wrong,, OH I also thought of spider mites too,, there are sooooo many things that can make leaf curl, but the brown spots is what made me think of blight. Are any of the leaves at the bottom the Stocks turning yellow and dropping?? You should go to your Local Nursery and take a leaf of what you have,, I would suggest you ask them to come out to the parking lot to view your leaf,, bacterial blight is contagious for other plants,, OR take a really good picture of it and take the picture to your nursery so they can recommend the correct spray/ treatment.

No.2 lack of magnesium

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
THE DOCTOR
1k Posts
THE DOCTOR
1k Posts
Just wondering if it might be aphids?
Does the damage look similar to this?
http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/images/raadmg.jpg

By the way loose strife is considered to be an invasive and noxious weed, (not that I happen to agree because I don't) in many states. You may be breaking the law by growing it.

Last edited by The Plant Doc; Jun 12th, 2008 at 04:29 AM.

Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
DEJAS Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you both!!....if it ever stops raining here I will check all that you said...Plant Doc.....I know that Lythrum salicaria is banned in many states....this one included...however I am growing Lysimachia puncata "Alexandra".....and I got it from the garden center.....so it should be okay....THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!! :)

DEJAS Offline OP
OP Offline
Today I checked my plants and saw leaf hoppers on them.....what kind of damage would they do to a plant....the garden center recommended a systemic power....I really prefer less toxic solutions....do you guys have any??

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,885
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image