Rate Thread
#212622 May 31st, 2008 at 06:54 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
This morning I enjoyed cooking again with the Cephalon frying pan I received as a gift for Christmas. Although this thing is nearly too heavy for me to lift, I do appreciate how well it performs.

For many years I owned a large, well seasoned cast iron frying pan that had been in my family for ages. It was perfect for many cooking tasks and I used it constantly. So you know I was sad when it was lost in one of my long-distance moves and I spent years buying lesser pans to replace it, never too happy with my finds.

This Cephalon pan comes a close second in terms of performance to that old cast iron pan except for its care requirements. Because it is a "non-stick" all caution has to be used. So, I still miss my old pan.

Just like my mom's old butcher knife, I've found it hard to replace.

What about you?

What kitchen utensil do you rely on and can barely imagine cooking without?

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Merme #212625 May 31st, 2008 at 06:57 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Mine is a simple one...it's my 'butter cutter'. It helps cut in cold shortning or butter into flour. Simplest little tool but makes my baking so much easier.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #212636 May 31st, 2008 at 07:17 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Sounds like it works far easier than my use of two butter knives to cut shortening into flour...

Have you had it a long time?

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
Merme #212641 May 31st, 2008 at 07:25 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I'm on my second one in about 20 years, this one is made tougher than the first. I've had this one 12 years I think. Well worth the $10.

Merme, it is the best invention ever.

Sunflowers #212644 May 31st, 2008 at 07:53 AM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Uhhhh, Thorn use Claws and Fangs to eat. Nuttin' work better!

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)
Thornius #212667 May 31st, 2008 at 11:04 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
tam, is yours like mine? a handle with either straight sides or wires looped into a "D" shape, and if it has straight sides, it has the wires or blades across but it is "D" shaped? i love mine

#212674 May 31st, 2008 at 12:28 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I have to say My cast iron skillets I have all sizes and 2 different size cast iron griddles,, I use them for everything from pancakes to corn bread to smothered steak,, I just can't see cooking without them, shock , I've even used my biggest one in my smoker when I smoke a brisket for 10 hours,, it's perfect for that ! grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #212692 May 31st, 2008 at 03:03 PM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
I don't have a favorite utensil per say, but I do have a favorite appliance......my under the cabinet mounted can opener. No hurting my hand. No dragging an electric one out and plugging it in, unplugging it and putting it back again.

It's a gem of a kitchen helper for me!

Oh and another thing I have that kicks butt is my little tuna press I bought...to drain a can of tuna easily.

And my gigantic heavy duty pizza cutter. It's huge and sturdy---kind of like a tool..... lol

Oh and one last thing....my tupperware colander. It has a lid to it and locks so you can turn things upside down to really strain stuff good. thumbup

#212717 May 31st, 2008 at 05:02 PM
WildRedRidingHood
4k Posts
WildRedRidingHood
4k Posts
Wow, a favorite , huh? Oh I've got so many favorites, it's hard to pick one. I'm with you , Merme, and absolutely love my cast iron frying pan. I use it all the time. Also, I've got a flat griddle type of nonstick pan from T-Fal that has become almost as seasoned as the cast iron pan. I was just commenting about that the other day to my daughter.

Tamara, my pastry blender broke the last time I used it! shock boohoo I love that thing.

I have a favorite wire whisk from pampered chef that I love and use daily. It is not like traditional whisks , but has a long thin wire handle "D" shaped at the top and a circle at the bottom with wire coiled around that circular end. I may have to post a picture of it, as I don't think I'm describing it right.

[Linked Image]
melcon6 #212723 May 31st, 2008 at 05:43 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I do have a favorite spatula. It is super thin so it gets under things without messing them up. I love my iron frying pans and iron dutch ovens. I also love my box grater.
But the one thing that has added to my cooking experience most is my zester. It takes the zest off of lemons and other citrus so well that I don't pass by those recipes calling for lemon zest in my cookbooks so fast any more.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #212726 May 31st, 2008 at 06:36 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
my 'whop-chopper'. it's a hand held chopper I use for onion, garlic, peppers, tomatos. It has 's' shaped blandes that turn each time you whop chop it from the top. it disassembles in two pieces and the top half splits. very easy to clean when your done.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket #212729 May 31st, 2008 at 06:55 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Oh, I have one of those too. I love it too.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #212796 Jun 1st, 2008 at 06:49 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Y'all have some neat thing in your kitchens! But I must ask "What? No inherited roasting pans for Sunday Supper or anything sentimental like that?"

I love gadgets too....

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #212798 Jun 1st, 2008 at 07:17 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
My original dutch oven was my grandmother's. I also have her cookie jar. My huge roasting pan roasted many turkeys for my mother. I think it was only brought out that one time a year.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #212801 Jun 1st, 2008 at 07:24 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Now you are talking some well-beloved items, Tina! You are fortunate to have those things...

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #212812 Jun 1st, 2008 at 10:23 AM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Besides being the Bird Man, Music Enthusiast, Knitter, and Crocheter, I also LOVE to cook. My specialty is chile and beans. I have a big soup pot that is going almost everyday. I also have cornbread pans that I make tons of cornbread with. I am busy sauteeing peppers, onions, and garlic all the time and have a big pot of pinto beans going, too. For cooking Mexican food, I like my tongs. I use them for flipping the corn tortillas in the hot grease and for singeing the flour tortillas over the bare red hot burners of the stove. When my wife and I were newlyweds we lived in Texas in a predominantly Mexican/American neighborhood. They taught us how to make the food from scratch. To this day we still eat Chalupas every week.

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)
Merme #212821 Jun 1st, 2008 at 10:47 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I think I'm hanging with the wrong crowd. I don't cook much.

I have an electric frying pan that I use for everything from frying to making gravy. This is the 4th or 5th one over 30 years. For anything else I use my iron skillet that I've had since 1990.

I can't imagine even owning a zester like joni. I can truthfully say that I've never zested anything in my life.

And Mel uses a wire whisk daily???? That's amazing. What in the world are you whisking?

Tam, I can't tell you when was the last time I cut butter into flour. Maybe 8th grade home ec.

You guys are WAY to cool for me.

Thornius #212827 Jun 1st, 2008 at 11:00 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
The above mentioned spatula was also my mother's. I have three pieces of yellow depression glass that decorated my grand mother's kitchen, a serving plate with a handle in the center and two stemmed small serving plates. I love those. I have all of my ex-Mil's yellow depression glass from the 30's as well. Everyday pieces with some additions that I purchased at antique stores.
I have all of my babies' spoons and whatnot ready for grandkids someday. And my ex's baby spoon as well.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Bestofour #212828 Jun 1st, 2008 at 11:20 AM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Originally Posted by Bestofour

I have an electric frying pan that I use for everything from frying to making gravy. This is the 4th or 5th one over 30 years. For anything else I use my iron skillet that I've had since 1990.

I can't imagine even owning a zester like joni. I can truthfully say that I've never zested anything in my life.

And Mel uses a wire whisk daily???? That's amazing. What in the world are you whisking?

Tam, I can't tell you when was the last time I cut butter into flour. Maybe 8th grade home ec.

Sherry I'm with you. I've never zested, never cut butter into flour, and I have a whisk but I have rarely used it. I could probably cook if I wanted to--following a recipe isn't too hard, but I just don't love it like some people. I'd rather use that time to do other stuff than cook stuff all from scratch.

Bestofour #212837 Jun 1st, 2008 at 11:59 AM
WildRedRidingHood
4k Posts
WildRedRidingHood
4k Posts
Originally Posted by Bestofour

haha You are so funny, Sheri!

The whisk? Well, scrambled eggs, sauces, marinades, dressings, hummingbird food, Southern sweet tea (we go through a gallon a day here), and God knows what else.

[Linked Image]
melcon6 #212853 Jun 1st, 2008 at 01:22 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I enjoy cooking because I like to pour all the affection I have got for those I care about into a meal. The mood, the table settings, the foods -- all selected with each person in mind so that everyone feels completely pampered when they sit down to eat in "their" place at the table.

I really believe in each person having a special place at the table, along with certain other familiar items such as a favored cup or napkin ring. That sense of "always-ness" of belonging of time past, present and future, can all be very soothing when life gets all rough and tumble.

It only takes a short while to set the table, turn off the TV, light the candles, start the music and call everyone to sit. During mealtimes, the people I am with have my total attention.

Once, when Maxi was very very young he looked up at me during dinner and said "I like my dinner, Mommy! I can taste the love in it!"

Exactly what I always hope for.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #212911 Jun 1st, 2008 at 05:10 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
[quote=Merme]I enjoy cooking because I like to pour all the affection I have got for those I care about into a meal. The mood, the table settings, the foods -- all selected with each person in mind so that everyone feels completely pampered when they sit down to eat in "their" place at the table./quote]

merme......will you be my mommie??? grin
that is very sweet! and you have lifted my spirits after a very trying day. wish more mommies/wives...people in general, could be more like you!

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket #212942 Jun 1st, 2008 at 05:55 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Cricket ~ I hope the rest of your day is better!

kissie

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #213004 Jun 2nd, 2008 at 03:43 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Originally Posted by Merme
Y'all have some neat thing in your kitchens! But I must ask "What? No inherited roasting pans for Sunday Supper or anything sentimental like that?"

Merme I had the most beautiful hand forged bread pan from my mother in law, it was rounded with soldered ends....My sis-in-law borrowed it and won't give it back....she say's she doesn't have it madd . I'll get it back some day.

Yup Jiffy it has a wooden handle and a 'D' shaped bottom. I have lots of loved utensils, my old rolling pin was neat but I wore it out so that the inside pin wouldn't roll anymore lol One of my sis-in-laws bought me a marble one, great for cookie dough but a pain for pie crusts.

I wear out alot of things so not to much is old...I had wooden spoons that were wore out on one side...DH threw them out and bought me new ones lol

Sunflowers #213038 Jun 2nd, 2008 at 06:04 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Ohhh, Tam, that bread pan sounds to die for! I so hope you eventually get it back!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #213040 Jun 2nd, 2008 at 06:06 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I've GOT to get a new rolling pin as I haven't had one in a couple of years. When I want to roll something out, I use a can or a tall drinking glass. I just keep forgetting to put the pin on my list.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #215805 Jun 14th, 2008 at 07:25 AM
Not really a cooking utensil but I bought a electric potato peeler about a couple of months ago and I love it! It peels a potato in less than a minute and is wonderful! I hate peeling potatoes worse than anything. It also peels apples and anything else you want done.
I paid about $25.00 for it and trust me, it has paid for itself. I got it from Bryland Homes.
I bought one for my granddaughter and plan on buying one for each of my daughters, makes a great gift for any cook.

LOL sounds like I am doing a commercial.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Please Spay/Neuter your Pets.
Annell #215810 Jun 14th, 2008 at 07:56 AM
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Well lets see- I have bowls and corning ware that was my grandmothers... I also have a wooden rolling pin that my ex's paternal grandmother gave me as a wedding present...she was a little old lady and told me to use it and the iron skillet she also gave me... still use it too- love to make cornbread in it.
I also have a big roasting pan that was my Mom's, will hold a 25 lb turkey.. had a lifter in it too- love that thing when I need to cook for the whole group.
I have my Mom's silverware too- some of it was her grandmothers too... just not he polishing of it.
nana

[Linked Image]
Nana's15 #215832 Jun 14th, 2008 at 09:37 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I have lots of stuff I would not part with, and use all the time--BUT--

My favorite is My Zanger-Icel paring knife. it was part of my wedding gifts from my BIL & SIL. I got a bread knife, a large butcher knife & the paring knife.---They are great.

Then a few years ago I took the paring knife with me to Val's house to help her with a cook-out she was having---have not seen it since--so she bought me a replacement as a Christmas gift .---

Now they are just Icel Knives but it is still very nice---I would be lost without it.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #215837 Jun 14th, 2008 at 10:30 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Nana ~ you have many great sentimental and useful things, you lucky girl!

Carol Jean ~ isn't it interesting how a knife can become so important? I think the favoritism has also to do with the familiarity of the grip as well as the way it performs.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

#215849 Jun 14th, 2008 at 11:49 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Originally Posted by afgreyparrot
My favorite utensil is scissors.
lol we know cindy, but you aren't allowed to have them anymore uhuhh 'cause we love you and want you in one piece kissie

#215918 Jun 14th, 2008 at 03:17 PM
I bought a Swiss frying pan with little hollows in the bottom. Had it with me for years. The wooden handle burned black and my ex threw it in the trash. Of course I fished it out and still use it. Ex is gone ,frying pan is lovingly with me.
Also a med size black Jus-pan. It now has a crack in it but always do I use it
for simmermeat with jus. Could not live without them.

Then there is my white Centura coffee mug. When all my householdstuff was packed
away I had kept one item out. That mug gave me comfort,silly? Not for me. Larkspur

Larkspur #216002 Jun 15th, 2008 at 04:41 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Originally Posted by Larkspur
The wooden handle burned black and my ex threw it in the trash. Of course I fished it out and still use it. Ex is gone ,frying pan is lovingly with me.

thumbup

Larkspur #216088 Jun 15th, 2008 at 10:40 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Originally Posted by Larkspur
That mug gave me comfort,silly? Not for me.

That's what it's all about!

I'm glad you have that mug and your special pans!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image