Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#216164 Jun 15th, 2008 at 05:29 PM
Cessie Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm curious if anyone here can advise me the best way to proceed. It's my intention to plant veggies next spring, but I want to get started this year and prepare the soil.

I've read that raised beds are better than planting straight in the ground. I've located the best spot in my back yard, plotted out the area and figured out the size of said boxes. however, in order for me to calculate the total costs needed to fill each box with soil.

If I have a 3' x 6' x 10" box, I know that one yard is 27 cf and the volume on this box is 180. How do I figure how much soil i need to purchase. Also would i need to have a layer of sand on the bottom of each box.

OR - - perhaps I'm going to far in the start of this process. Should I just plant it straight in the ground?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

"I idolize no one" - Anonmyous
Cessie #216166 Jun 15th, 2008 at 06:01 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
You have a lot of time to compost quite a few things of your own before spring planting. It is much less expensive that way. If you have and can afford the boxes, I would begin now to lasagna layer them. You can even layer without boxing it all in.
Now, I'm hoping someone will come along with a link about the lasagna method for you.
And welcome to TGH.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Cessie #216167 Jun 15th, 2008 at 06:15 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Hi Cessie! Welcome to the garden helper! wavy

The choice is entirely up to you if you have a raised bed or plant directly in the ground soil~ either way the soil needs to be amended
Are you going to make your own compost?? click here .............. >
[size:11pt] http://www.thegardenhelper.com/compost.html ............
and visit our thread in Organic gardening, //www.agardenersforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=12

[color:#009900]IF you're not going to actually plant veggies until next spring you have plenty of time to make Loads of compost before then,, It makes the biggest difference in your gardens produce, clap I hadn't heard of it until I joined here and now I can't do with out it at all!!! lol lol recycling back to the earth gives us "black Gold in soil,
It will save you in some soil expenses for sure,, and will provide the richest soil for your gardens flower or Veggie!, of course you still admend the compost in with good soils to help build your bed,, and Most if not all bags have " will cover 2 CF" or more depending on what size bags you buy( By lbs).

Living in GA it's not to late to start.. Tomato will produce for you well into the fall as well some other veggies,, actually some veggies you don't even start until about now,,
Please keep up updated and Ask all the questions you want,, someone will have an answer for you, :wink:
[/color]

[/size]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #216184 Jun 15th, 2008 at 06:57 PM
Angel covered it well. Everyones situation is different. For some like me planting in the ground is best,others raised beds and due to space, ect. even growing in bales works better some and then others containers. But like stated you need to amend your soil. I use manure and mulch mainly. If starting now I would get some fairly fresh manure and mix it in well. It will be ready come next spring. Not knowing your garden and situation neither me or anyone else can say which method is best for you. Good luck and keep asking questions. JD

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,885
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image