Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#216072 Jun 15th, 2008 at 08:56 AM
OP Offline
So yesterday morning I noticed some leaves on one of my tomato plants were turning this weird purply greyish color. I did some research, but I couldn't figure out wha it meant...it's kind of the same color as a phosphorous deficiency but that should start in the veins, right? On my plant it started at the edge of the leaf. Today, the very tips of the leaves have turned almost white and are curling in. Worst part is both my other tomato plants have some purple now as well. It's only a few of the leaves towards the bottom of the plant; if I took those off, would it save the rest of the plant?

The plants are outside. I've been watering almost every day except when it rains. Maybe it's too much, but whenever I go check the soil is dry the next day, and it's been pretty hot around here recently, so I water alot. It could be some kind of fungal problem since I didn't know until yesterday that getting water on the leaves was a problem...oops. They all have flowers but the one that got "sick" first has the least flowers, and the one farthest from it is the only one with a fruit growing. I still don't know what this disease is so any help would be appreciated. I'll try to get some pics up later.

Edit: Here's a pic from today
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/neomania123/IM002165.jpg
Also these are cherry tomato plants, I don't know how much of a difference that makes.

Last edited by VeggieTales; Jun 15th, 2008 at 09:15 AM.
VeggieTales #216251 Jun 16th, 2008 at 03:03 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Hi and welcome.

I've had that happen to me a few times. It was because we got a cold dip in temperature overnight and my seedlings weren't hardened off enough when I planted. What's the temps where you are?

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #216301 Jun 16th, 2008 at 05:18 AM
THE DOCTOR
1k Posts
THE DOCTOR
1k Posts
The cold temps are the 1st thing that came to my mind as well. However I think you may have 2 problems. If the tips are turning white, that could be from watering and getting the leaves wet during the bright sunlit hours. Try watering directly to the base of the plant or early morning waterings

Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
VeggieTales #216351 Jun 16th, 2008 at 10:37 AM
Some varieties of tomato need the soil temperature to be above 70 (or more) to even process phosphorous. So depending on variety, it wouldn't even have to be super cold to cause this. I have had plenty of troubles with trying to get plants going too early and causing this problem, but your picture didn't look bad at all.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,922
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image