Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#215056 Jun 10th, 2008 at 10:12 AM
J'Lyn Offline OP
OP Offline
I decided to try one more time to grow gardenias here in Desert Southern California. Armed with knowledge from previous failed attempts, I decided to try rolling pots so I could shade them from the sun most of the hottest days, and control the soil and nutrients for the acidity they like). I planted two in different pots and all was going so well, then I tried neem oil to protect against pests. I used the oil mixed per instructions, on the gardenias, my rose bushes, and my veggie garden. One gardenia wilted a bit and had brown leaves, but is coming back with new growth. One has no leaves (except the dead ones I picked off) but has green stem at the roots. It was the smaller of the two plants. One rose bush also looked like it was dead, but is sending up new growth. The other roses are unharmed, as were the edibles. What did I do wrong? It may have been too late in the day? I should have done it in the evening or early morning? Does anyone know the safety precautions for using it?

Also, will the one gardenia come back? Or should I give it a respectful funeral and replace it? Thanks for any help you can give.

J'Lyn #215060 Jun 10th, 2008 at 10:21 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I've never used neem oil but I can tell you that if you see green growth then it's still living. I'd cut away the dead growth and wait patiently.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #215135 Jun 10th, 2008 at 06:46 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
i've never used neem either and don't know anything about it.

regardless, tamara is correct that, if you see green, then the plant is not dead! cut back the damaged areas and continue treating the plant as you had before the neem treatment...that is, keep the watering schedule up as well as protecting it from the intense sunlight. it will, most probably, survive. just needs a little tender care at the moment (and a drastic 'haircut') and in time, it should rebound and be better than it was before.

Zone 6b
Joclyn #216357 Jun 16th, 2008 at 10:49 AM
Neem oil, if mixed correctly (2oz per gallon or so is what I think most manufacturer's recommend) should not hurt your plants, although if you spray it on in bright sunlight it will cause the plants to toast. The nice slick coating amplifies the sunlight and it will burn the whole leave right off. I think they recommend spraying it on in the early morning or late evening where you don't have the possibility of frying your plant.

Also, Neem will not work as well as the heavy-duty chemical pest killers, so you will have to use it repeatedly (a few times to once a week) as it doesn't kill eggs and "wears" off after a few days.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,922
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image