Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#217454 Jun 21st, 2008 at 04:49 PM
Choctaw Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi All,

I have recently returned to vegetable gardening after a long hiatus. Working "the road" does not lend itself well to tending a garden or raising boys.

I'm looking forward to the benefit of y'alls comments and advice. I have seen from this introduction page that the deep south is well represented which is wonderful as this area is much different than central Florida where I last kept a garden.

Hope all is well with your projects and look forward to more conversation.

Choctaw #217496 Jun 21st, 2008 at 07:38 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
wavy welcome choctaw! where in nw flordia are you? i'm from west of pensacola, and the family is from south of defuniak springs. you will like it here, i promise!

Choctaw #217497 Jun 21st, 2008 at 07:38 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
what else can I say but, HOWDY!
Whatcha gonna plant, hon?

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
#217607 Jun 22nd, 2008 at 07:37 AM
Choctaw Offline OP
OP Offline
Good morning Jiffymouse, we are very nearly neighbors. I am just across the Chocktawhatchee river in Washington County. You may know of Vernon, FL and possibly even New Hope which is where my family and I live.

You are so right about loving living here. It's been 5 years since we moved back from Orange County FL. I can hardly stand to leave the front gate much less return to all that hustle & bustle around Orlando.

Thanks for the welcome. I've enjoyed the site so far and look forward to more.

cricket #217608 Jun 22nd, 2008 at 07:55 AM
Choctaw Offline OP
OP Offline
Good morning Cricket. Nothing a displaced Texan loves more than a great big HOWDY from home.

As far as the gardening goes most of my spring planting has played out. The tomatoes (3 varieties) are all picked and the corn comes of the plants verrry soon. Kentucky Wonders are still making as are the 6 varieties of peppers. Tryin to figure out what to do with the raised beds next, probably cover crop in anticipation for the fall planting which I'm thinking of late august/early September.

I did just plant an opportunistic garden in the area where my wife kept a round pen (she raises and trains quarter horses).Soon I should have my own "crop circle" consisting of okra, lima beans and squash. We'll see how it fairs through the hot buggy summer here.

Where are you in Texas. I was born in Bay City and raised in Pasadena.

Thanks for the welcome and more later.

Choctaw #217620 Jun 22nd, 2008 at 08:52 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
choctaw, yes, i know where you are. just east of the folks. welcome again, and when i go back that way, maybe we can meet up for coffee grin

#217681 Jun 22nd, 2008 at 02:08 PM
Choctaw Offline OP
OP Offline
Great, I love coffee. Even trying my hand at growing chicory. Let me know if you make plans to be back around here.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,931
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image