Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Ellymae Offline OP
OP Offline
Help! They are eating everything, literally! A rose that opened this morning was decimated by lunchtime! My cannas look like brown lace and they have started in on my tomatoes! What do I do?! I've sprayed them with like three different kinds of bug killer, set out the bag-type traps, nothing has helped! My poor roses are trying so hard to be pretty, they are blooming very well, but the blooms only last a few hours because of the beetles!

I hate beetles. rspb

Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
put the bag traps up somewhere that is away from what the beetles are eating. that will help a little bit by drawing them away from the plants.

not much you can do about them - they're not native here and whatever is their natural preditor isn't here, so they tend to run rampant.

we had a bad infestation a couple of years ago, so i feel for you!!

you can make a solution of water and dish soap - just put a few drops in a cup of water - and then drop the bugs into it.

you can also treat your lawn with milky spore - that takes a few years to really see a difference, though. it kills the grubs when they are in the ground over the winter. the spores take a couple of years to multiply enough in the soil to really do any damage to the larvae.

whenever i'm digging in the soil (whether just turning it over or digging to transplant something) i always kill the larvae when i find one.

Zone 6b
Hang traps at least 25-30 feet AWAY from where the plants are you want to protect. In sun preferably.
I caught 5 quart sized jars full last year. It was a REALLY bad year for JBs....

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,884
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image