Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I have a couple of maters that are beginning to turn yellow. should see some orange in a few days. maybe one more week to get a ripe one. but, I've been saying that for a few weeks now. I'll just say two more weeks for a ripe one, to be on the safe side! ha ha

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
Ciao all-

All of my in-ground tomatoes have been planted last weekend, a total of 60. I have most of the determinates and dwarfs planted and will have a total of 36 when that's done, plus 1 in a hanging basket. So much for cutting back this year! The hardening off process was brutal this year. We suffered a very cold May and even had frost one night, so the plants got wind burn, sunscald, plus they were rootbound to start with. Right now, they've got straw around them, 2 sets of healthy-ish leaves on a stem and sit between 3-6" above the straw. They've already bounced back from the damage they suffered while hardening off and as they grow, I'm pruning the crispy leaves off. I'd be doing that chore anyway, making sure no foliage touched the straw, but it's just earlier this year. I know I won't be getting any early tomatoes except for the micro-dwarfs O(which I didn't count in the above tally because they're under lights and will remain there), but I will get lots of tomatoes in the end. In another month it will be very lush out there.

Cheers,
Julianna

Grazie a tutti,
Julianna

[Linked Image]

I'm impressed by everyone's long lists of the varities you're growing.
I have only one Early Girl but she's loaded down and two tomatoes are baseball sized and ready. I let them go one more day to get them truly "well done".
Looking forward to them this evening ! Yum !

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Only one tomato plant here this year---a potted one---it is a better bush. not doing so good in the bearing area so far.--Nice & green & healthy though----well I do have 1 small green tomato.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
I just tried to edit out my typo "varities" but it's too late.
Can you tell I'm a perfectionist?...
It's so hot here it's hard to think.
I hope you get more tomatoes !

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I'm growing large cherries and better boys. boy, those large cherries are growing up taller than any variety I've tried so far. seems like a lot of plant for tiney maters? but they ARE very delicious! we got some good rain today and also a couple of times in the last week. I look for nice harvest by next weekend or so.

Cricket

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
My plants aren't doing well, it's too cold and it rains every single day and doesn't stop.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
1k Posts
1k Posts
My tomatoes are in my greenhouse and are doing well. But they are only just starting to bloom, what a picture they are.

Tamara maybe you should consider a greenhouse, at least you'd be able to enjoy some nice plants......but then you need sunshine for plants to grow in the greenhouse too.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
To tell the truth, I don't know why us Northern NB's even bother trying.

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I disagree! I think it is wonderful and amazing people in canada can grow tomatoes. what a challenge. makes me feel like a lazy gardener, just growing what is easy. ha ha

Cricket

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Oh, lots in Canada can grow almost anything.....it's just us on the Northern or Northern East end that have the trouble. Our season is so short.

Kenny is just a province under me, yet his climate is so different...he can grow pretty much any veggie.

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
yea, but that far north don't you still have to start them inside under special lights? then sometimes pick before they are completly ripe?

Cricket

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Om my yes.....most veggies have to be started and planted as seedlings, and yup tomatoes don't have time to ripen on the vine either. That's why I laugh when I see the seed set up at the store. Most things even planted as seedlings don't have time to grow......and they wonder why seeds don't really sell??????

1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
My Roma tomato plant has some 'maters growing on it!I found two tiny green fruits today.

Waiting for fall...
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
There are several little tomatoes growing on the Roma plant.Some of my other tomato plants are blooming as well.

Waiting for fall...
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I've gone several weeks with no new tomatoes, but now all my plants are loaded with little green ones! it looks like once again, they will all ripen at the same time.

Cricket

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I've got a few baby tomatoes starting on my Sweet 100's.

Ciao all-

I've returned from a 9 day camping trip at Algonquin Provincial Park to amazing things going on in the garden. All of the tomato plants are loaded and I mean absolutely loaded with flowers and most of them have some green fruit in various sizes and stages of ripeness. The determinates and dwarfs I have in wading pools on the driveway are nuts and I need to spend some time to figure out just how I plan to extract them from each other in order to harvest. Each pool has 19 plants in it. The in-ground tomatoes are between 4-5 feet tall already and a few of them grew over 2 feet while we were gone! I tied them to stakes the day before we left and returned to a ton of work before me. It's all good, though, being blessed with work has its benefits. For one thing, it took my mind off missing the forest and its lovely coolness. Today, it rained all day which was absolutely wonderful. One of my very favourite simple pleasures is to sit with the windows open during a nice steady rain (NOT a thunderstorm), listening to the birds splashing about in the bird bath or nibbling at the bird feeder and serenading me with their song as I look out and watch my garden grow before my eyes. I still don't have any ripe fruit, including the micro-dwarfs downstairs, but it won't be long now. I know for sure that what I thought was Red Robin most assuredly isn't. I've moved it outside where I will attempt to transplant it without breaking or killing it because it's about 4 feet tall. Red Robin is listed as being 12-18" tall. I will most definitely be getting seed from a new source next year!

Grazie a tutti,
Julianna

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image