Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
I have seen Yucca plants all over the place this year... and I really like them.. I am thinking of a few for our property.. I have read horror stories of people trying to get RID of them and they can't.. lol My brother has one, and said I can have some seeds.. would this be a good way to go? Or would I be better off to buy a bigger plant?? Can I plant the seeds now to start them, or should I wait til spring?

Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
they're not the fastest growers, so i'd opt for starts from your brothers plant or get some from a nursery.

once they're in they ARE hard to get rid of. they have a tap root and it goes DEEEEEPPPP! so, even if you cut it out, that little piece of root 3 feet (or more) down will start growing a new plant.

so, can be very difficult to get rid of especially after it's become well established. you also need to plan well where you plant it because of that tap root...never plant them over water pipes!!

i got some in trade a couple of years ago and they bloomed this year (i have to upload the pics). very, very nice flowers!! i wasn't expecting flowers until at least next year...

Zone 6b
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
This post is a year old.. and I hope I don't get in trouble for reviving it, but I thought it was better than starting a new one of the same topic.

Joclyn suggested I get starts from my brother's Yucca.. how do you do that exactly? I am not familiar with them at all.

Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
cut the pup off where it connects to the main/mother plant - or as close to it as you can, so that you have a bit of a stump to plant in the soil. if the pup has grown from underground and is a bit away from the mother plant, just cut the connecting root about 4 inches from where the pup is and you should be good to go.

when i got the pieces, some didn't have hardly any stump at all and they all grew fine (they were just a bit harder to plant because of not having enough of a piece to put into the soil).

i lost a couple of those with no stump...two to the idiot neighbor that replaced his fence and didn't look to see if anything was planted on the other side of it before he knocked it down (right on top of half a dozen things i'd had planted there, on my side of the property line, btw), and one i just couldn't keep it in the soil long enough for it to start rooting.

Zone 6b
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Thanks for the information Joclyn.. one problem. I was at a friend's campsite last night and she has Yucca plants all over the place there.. I was inspecting them and trying to find the 'pups' as you called them.. and I am unsure of what/where they are. I didn't see anything that looked like new little plants starting. why

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
that's what they'd look like ~ New little plants surfacing thru the soil under the Mother plant at her base against the soil,, you'd see them if they were there, for sure!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Thank you Angelblossom.. that is where I was confused. I thought the pups were growing ON the main plant. I didn't think to look at the base, under the leaves. I will do that though.. thanks!!

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
you're welcome! I hope you find some!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,893
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image