Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#221826 Jul 14th, 2008 at 05:40 PM
j412 Offline OP
OP Offline
In late April I bought two "Little Gem Spruce Standard" topiary. They did great until June 12th. we went away on a trip and watered before we went. We returned 4 days later and the weather had been hot. One of the topiary had started turning brown so we started watering. Within a week it was totally brown. Now the other is starting to turn but much more slowly.

I followed the instructions for planting and I don't think I am over watering. I have checked the soil several times and as the tag suggested it is semi-moist.

Here is a link to a pic.
http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n370/Icom2957/DSCF8342.jpg

Thanks,
JR

j412 #221843 Jul 14th, 2008 at 06:30 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
you planted them in late april? i'm wondering about the roots and how you dug the hole. a wise gardener said one time "ugly holes are best, that way roots don't think they have traded one pot for another". i don't the other thing is if you have watered them too much. as evergreens, they should be able to dry out a little bit. by now they should be able to handle 4 days. again, back to the planting holes and the condition of the roots when you planted them.

#221889 Jul 14th, 2008 at 10:56 PM
j412 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the reply. I dug a large hole (twice the size of the ball) and watered it, I mixed the refill dirt with mulch. I did not remove the burlap wrap on the ball. Should I have done that?

I dug around the ball to make cuts in the burlap thinking it was affecting the roots. I noticed that the dirt inside the burlap was drier and seemed more compacted than the surrounding dirt that I planted with.

j412 #221897 Jul 15th, 2008 at 03:50 AM
THE DOCTOR
1k Posts
THE DOCTOR
1k Posts
Sounds like you planted it correctly with the exception of loosening the burlap on the top of the ball. If you look at the plant the burlap appears to be very tight around the base of it. Another possibility is that you may have spider mites. They are very small and can be difficult to see on the plant. Take a sheet of printer paper out to the plant and hold it under it. Smack the plant a few times to dislodge any of the little critters and you will see them crawling around on the paper. If so, there are miticides that can be used, or you can try soaking the top portion of the plant a few times each day, as they hate the water, they will leave in search of drier pastures.

Last edited by The Plant Doc; Jul 15th, 2008 at 03:53 AM.

Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
j412 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, I loosened the burlap and checked for mites. I did see some bugs so I treated with a miticide. Thanks everyone I will monitor the shrub and watch it for changes.

j412 #221991 Jul 16th, 2008 at 04:07 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Did you buy them at a nursery with a warranty...if they are in real bad shape. I'd call and try exchange them.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,885
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image