Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#221946 Jul 15th, 2008 at 09:35 AM
JodiS Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello Everyone! I'm so glad I found this forum. I hope someone can help.

I live in Northern CA (Gilroy), roughly 20 miles south of San Jose. We have a nice sized, raised bed vegetable garden in our backyard. We have a variety of things planted: tomatoes, yellow squash, cucumbers, bells, strawberries, etc.

The last 3 mornings, we've come out to find the remnants of a feast. Some little critter is eating all of the *male* squash blooms. We have a ton of vegetables in all sizes, all around those squash plants, but nothing has been touched except the squash blooms. No nibbles on the green tomatoes. Nothing touching the ton of cucumbers &/or peppers hanging on their plants.

We live one street over from some grassy foothills, which I know are full of critters. We know there are field mice & rats in the general area, as we see them from time to time. I just don't see mice/rats being that particular, and just eating the squash blooms. We put out a few mouse traps the last couple nights, but caught nothing.

Any ideas? Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!
Jodi

JodiS #222035 Jul 16th, 2008 at 07:07 AM
1k Posts
1k Posts
I have the same problem too. I think it's beetles that are eating the flowers.

Waiting for fall...
JodiS Offline OP
OP Offline
hmmm.... After lots of internet searching, that is an option we came up with as well. Either a beetle or some sort of caterpillar/worm. The only trouble with this theory is that we never see any beetles or bugs out there at all! They could be super at hiding or invisi-bugs. :)

A friend of mine runs a local, large nursery here in Morgan Hill. He thinks it's probably a squirrel or wild rabbit. The same thing happens at their nurseries all the time. They have those trap & release cages all around & have to relocate critters all the time.

Since I posted my original message, the critter (or whatever it is) came back once (the night before last). Nothing last night & nothing is ever eaten or attacked during the day. It's only usually between 1-5am. <shrug!!>

I'm so sad that we won't have an abundance of yellow squash this summer. Although, my kids aren't so torn up at all. hehe.. :)

JodiS #222290 Jul 17th, 2008 at 02:57 PM
1k Posts
1k Posts
I did't get any zucchini because of whatever iseating the flowers.Perhaps it's slugs.

Waiting for fall...
Ciao all-

Any Italians in your neighbourhood? We love to eat squash blossoms.

Grazie a tutti,
Julianna

[Linked Image]

Sorellina #223008 Jul 20th, 2008 at 07:29 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I am not italian but yes I have---pumpkin blossoms are good as well, battered & deep fried.-- thumbup

Last edited by JunieGirl; Jul 20th, 2008 at 07:29 PM.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image