Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#219538 Jul 1st, 2008 at 06:53 AM
Sequoia Offline OP
OP Offline
An orchid I purchased last year bloomed wonderfully for a few months. When the blooms died, I pruned it as the grower I purchased if from had instructed. The entire stem that holds the blooms died and has not returned. I repotted in new growing medium and fertilized it. Will it grow another stem and bloom again? The green leaves of the plant are quite healthy, by the way.

Sequoia #219683 Jul 2nd, 2008 at 04:30 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Many orchids only bloom at one time of the year. They are very picky about the light they want in order to bloom. It is natural for the entire stem that the blooms are on to die back after it has finished blooming. I would drop back on the fertilizing until you identify exactly what kind of orchid you have and what it's requirements are.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #219831 Jul 3rd, 2008 at 03:45 AM
Sequoia Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks so much. I'll certainly cut back on the fertilizing.

tkhooper #219837 Jul 3rd, 2008 at 04:02 AM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Originally Posted by tkhooper
Many orchids only bloom at one time of the year. They are very picky about the light they want in order to bloom. It is natural for the entire stem that the blooms are on to die back after it has finished blooming. I would drop back on the fertilizing until you identify exactly what kind of orchid you have and what it's requirements are.

Wrong ......My orchid bloomed in February, and was done, and right now in July it is going in to blossom again.. White Phil.

However I have another one in Pink just starting to set blooms first time.

4 other types not in bloom at all.
Just receive 2 new ones in the mail yesterday...
Love the Orchidas......
Ps are you using Orchid soil like tk gave me?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
dodge #222696 Jul 19th, 2008 at 07:35 PM
Phals will bloom for long periods of times and I mean months and months as i have several that have been blooming since January and i dont do much with them but make sure they do not get to dry. Dendrobiums and Cats usually only bloom one time in a year. The thing is with Phals, some spikes stay green and some dry up. The ones that stay green will get buds and spikes off of it. It will also get kikis so u can get other plants. That does not happen all that often but is nice when it happens. I never cut my spikes down until they r brown and dry. A friend told me that it will make the plant weak but it sure does not mine. Every time it blooms it has more spikes and more blooms. She always cut hers off so all she ever got was one spike when it bloomed again. I think Phals r my favorite as it seems they r always blooming.
You can get a lot of information on how to grow orchids but i dont follow a lot of it. I try to not let them dry out to much, I fertilize only when they have quit blooming. I do transplant but mostly when the pot starts falling over from the plant leaning out. I tell them they r beautiful when in bloom so i do talk to plants. LOL For me Phals r the easiest orchid to keep alive and get to bloom.

If u can post a picture it would help to see what kind of orchid it is unless u know already. Would love to see it.

tsmate #222711 Jul 19th, 2008 at 07:48 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Here it is in February......

I didnt have a photo of it now.
Now what is a KIKI/

Do you cut the ugly roots off or not/

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,876
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image