Print Thread
Rate Thread
#222780 Jul 20th, 2008 at 08:06 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
OP Offline
Patriot
10k Posts
I've heard that bluejays are aggressive birds but this bird ran the bluejay off the feeder.
The picture is through the window and screen.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bestofour #222797 Jul 20th, 2008 at 09:45 AM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Your, "Guardbird", is a Northern Mockingbird. They are NOTORIOUS for driving away ANYTHING they think could oose a threat to them and their, "Territoty". My resident Mockingbird, Mr. Mocky, who has lived in my yard for the last five years has faithfully been driving away EVERY Starling that has DARED come into or near our yard. He is fairly tolerant of other birds. He just HATES Starlings. I noticed your Mockingbird is on top of the suet cage. SUET is the thing a Mockingbird will defend MOST Vigorously!

Mockingbirds are known for attacking many birds, dogs, cats, and even lawnmowers! I had one that would swoop down and land, one foot from me, every time I mowed the yard, a few years ago. But if you put out apple slices on a platform feeder from time to time, you can change your Mockingbird from a potential enemy, to a loyal friend. A couple of weeks ago Mr. Mocky brought by a little surprise for me.

Meet......MR. MOCKY, JR!!!

Mr. Mocky, Jr.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)
Thornius #222804 Jul 20th, 2008 at 10:11 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
I love mockingbirds, but haven't seen much of ours this summer. He used to perch on 2 of our tall pine trees at the top and sing his repetoire of interesting songs.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,892
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image