Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#223132 Jul 21st, 2008 at 12:55 PM
OP Offline
Hello- I have two red hot poker lilies that I planted last fall, and both came up and showed color this year. However, one is looking great right now, and the other is wilting and about 1/4 the size of the healthy lily. It may have received too much water, and I think the crowns have rotted. That being said, is this plant dead, or will it come back next year? These are my favorite plants and I don't want to replace it unless I have to. Thanks for your help.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I think it can be saved. If not, you should be able to divide the healthy one. I love these plants and have over a hundred of them. They do well on my hillsides although cutting those tough, razor sharp leaves back once a year is a bear.
They do best in well draining soil. If you cut the spent flowers off before they seed you should get a second flush. The seeds are not hard to start although they take a little while. They might even surprise you and seed themselves.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Mine keep coming back no matter what.

OP Offline
Thank you all for your feedback. This is a great forum.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by Bestofour
Mine keep coming back no matter what.

I have tried growing these over and over again, seed packet after packet and Nothing,, boohoo this spring I bought a full sized plant in a gallon pot,, dang even it died,, it's in well drained soil,, full sun all day until late afternoon dappled sun,, do I give up or keep trying,,>> egad

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
10k Posts
10k Posts

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts

Heyyyyyyyyyy thanks Bill grin I just learned the seeds need moist chilling for 6 weeks before sowing,, I didn't know that and am sure now It's the reason why my seeds never germinated,,.. egad

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
isn't life funny. They grow like weeds in my field.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Sheri do you collect the seeds??? If so can you send me some kissie so I can try them one more time?? lol

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by mdewitt23
Hello- I have two red hot poker lilies that I planted last fall, and both came up and showed color this year. However, one is looking great right now, and the other is wilting and about 1/4 the size of the healthy lily. It may have received too much water, and I think the crowns have rotted. That being said, is this plant dead, or will it come back next year? These are my favorite plants and I don't want to replace it unless I have to. Thanks for your help.

I can't seem to find out where to ask my questions! Can a rubber tree plant stay outside during the winter?

Originally Posted by 575757
Originally Posted by mdewitt23

I can't seem to find out where to ask my questions! Can a rubber tree plant stay outside during the winter?

while its kind of a thread jack and some might be aghast at my responding,
it really depends on wher you live and how cold its gets whether or not you can leave a rubber tree plant outside in the winter. i have to think that they will not like sustained low temps,so if you are not in a tropical zone with average temps above 70 degrees,they will not like it a bit. i could be wrong,but i think any freeze will kill them.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
We do get some freezes here in S. Cal. Had snow on the ground for a week last year. The rubber trees did quite well with that. I did lose a few other plants though.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,898
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image