Print Thread
Rate Thread
dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
My Phale. Orchid is blooming for the 2nd time this year.
zone 5.........So now we know it blooms more than once..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Congrats on your blooms. sorry about the mistaken information. I guess with a bunch of orchids out there it's easy to get confused. And I certainly do. Thanks for the correction Dodge.

[Linked Image]
dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Thanks tk, not correcting you.......Just suprising me..LOL
Now my pink is in full bud , same family of orchids. Any day now.. However none of the other types have ever bloomed..YET.

Oh did I Mention , I purchased a Cattleya Orchid for $5.00 at Lowes , 2 weeks ago......It was not in a pot, just a tiny little plastic holder, and they had them in a huge tub of water only........ So far it didnt die.

It is one that doesnt require support...The leaves are heavy like leather.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Little Babe
2k Posts
Little Babe
2k Posts
My phalen (I don't know how to spell it) is also blooming for it's second time this year. It has 17 blooms and 6 or 7 more buds on it right now. It's absolutley beautiful. I've name her Glory!

[Linked Image]

Rachel

(the new and improved Mrs. rachelc)

If you never have you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
rachelp,

Please show us that .. Yours must be lots older to have that many..
What color? My white is in bloom and the pink is getting ready.. Younger plant.
Never had one as huge as yours..
Thanks for sharing.

Tk we have company...rachelp ..........

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Hi. I hope u dont mind me posting. I joined a while back and forgot bout this forum. Have no clue how that could happen as flowers r my passion.
I have phals also. I have a greenhouse so i had several start blooming in Jan and they r still going strong. I also have a chocolate dendrobium that the blooms were dying and i see it has 4 more spikes. I just love orchids and they r so easy to grow....well most r.
When i lived in Fl i could hang them outdoors almost all year around but up here in zone 4 it is either a greenhouse for my collection or give them up and i just cannot give them up. I will post some pictures once i get that figured out. Would love to see others pictures also.

dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
tsmate,

Welcome to GH........
Now your talking right up my alley....Orchids
I have white dend. in bloom now, and pink in bud.
Bought a Cattleya 2 weeks ago......
I would love to see your Lot, and if you have extras, A willing taker here.

To get photos on here .First Upload them to Photo bucket.......they you can copy and paste them here.......

YOu have to join it and then upload....Questins, I can help. thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Thanks for the welcome. I only have one dend and it has not bloomed. I got it cheap from a Steins when it was done blooming and had no leaves but the stems were nice and thick and green. No name on it but i remembered it was one that bloomed around Christmas and u have to quit watering it for a while or it will not bloom. Any idea what it could be aside of a dendrobium?
I have one cat and it has about 5 buds coming out. I have quite a few phals. I have three vandas but so far no blooms this year. I thought one was dead but i hung them all out in the shade and we get quite a bit of rain this year and they r all getting new roots. Seems they did better in Fl.
I will have to join Photo bucket. I have my pictures in Yahoo. Can u post yours when in bloom? I will do the same. I just love orchids.

dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
here is my white one today .. July22......My pink has 5 buds and ready to burst..
I love them too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
OMG that is so pretty :ding: :ding:...I bet you have to be really careful not to break it :wink:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Thanks Belinda,
Actually it is stiff in structure.. Leaves and the blooms......My sis seen it today, she said what is that?
I said an Orchid, she says boy that is pretty... :ding:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
it is pretty, I'd probably kill one nooo

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
Little Babe
2k Posts
Little Babe
2k Posts
Dodge, those white blooms are beautiful. They look so elegant.

Here is my Glory.
[Linked Image]

I couldn't get a good picture that shows all the blooms. There are a couple around back, too. I'm getting really excited about Mommy's orchid that I have. It always looked kinda pitiful. I repotted it about 4 months ago and it is thriving now. It has quite a few buds on it. I don't know what color it is. It has never bloomed. It looks a lot different than Glory. Glory is over 3 feet tall and her leaves are over a foot long each. She is huge. Mommy's orchid is tiny but looks really healthy now. I'll post pics of that one as soon as it blooms. It should bloom within the next week.

[Linked Image]

Rachel

dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
thumbup clap

Wow
That woke me up.. Thanks for the compliments.

Oh I love Glory too...........
Dying to see the other also..
How old are they ? Mine maybe 4 years only . The Leaves get larger and larger.
Now I read if it is Phal. it will get new babies between the leaves .. Did yours do that?

Do you have them in Orchid soil?
North window or not? I have white in north window and Pink south. Got it for 2 dollars last fall .. Just a baby.....Congradulations on the Orchids.

I will post mine for you when it blooms..(Pink.

Thanks for sharing\
What is that behind the orchid ? A wire like chicken wire to hold it up?

Last edited by dodge; Jul 23rd, 2008 at 10:02 AM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Little Babe
2k Posts
Little Babe
2k Posts
I just have a cheap dowl rod to hold the orchid up behind it. They are about 20 cents at Walmart and work great. Glory is about 3 years old. I think Mommy's is about the same age. Glory is planted in pure spahgnum moss in the same container I bought it in. The roots are growing out of it like crazy but I'm reluctant to transplant because it is doing so well the way it is. Mommy's is planted in a mixture of orchid soil and potting soil. I had it planted in complete orchid mix and it didn't stay moist enough. I know most things say orchids are prone to root rot but I have the best luck with mine if I keep their roots moist. I have their pots setting in bowls that I keep about a quarter inch of water in for them to drink. Once I get some time later I'll post a picture of Glory with her leaves and crazy roots and a pic of Mommy's too. I can't wait for that one to bloom. I have both of them facing southern light.

My orchids just thrill me. I love having an exotic plant that blooms so beautifully and the blooms last for months and months.

[Linked Image]

Rachel

dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
thumbup

Same feeling is here. Proud as a peacock.
Mine is in all orchid soil...Everything you say is correct.. I have a plastic catch sauce under each one with water all the time..

I never seen one with so many buds......I am going to have to try some moss in a different orchid not the Phal.. and see what happens...... I go by the directions.

Do they just get part sun or full?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Little Babe
2k Posts
Little Babe
2k Posts
They get part sun and seem to love it.

[Linked Image]

Rachel

Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
OMG dodge that one is breath taking

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
:ding:

Belinda she made my tongue hang out..Hers is gorgous.

Now Rachelp is GLORY the only name on the orchid.. Like mine is Phal. species..

Hey, One pinkie is almost open......I am just as nervous as reachelp..
clap

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
mine too...It was just breath taking, so beautiful they look unreal

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
Rachelp that is one i have also. It is full of blooms like yours. It has been blooming since January. Just keeps hanging on to the flowers and keeps getting more buds. The white one is gorgeous also. I dont have a white one but after seeing that it makes me want one.
I was at a greenhouse when i lived in Fl that was let go. In fact there were a total of 4 large greenhouses. The owner did not do a thing with them including not watering. They were growing out of the pots all over the bench and hanging down almost touching the ground. I wanted to take them all home with me as it was sad to see such neglect but the thing is they were thriving. I have quite a few that have roots way out of the pot and the only thing i notice is the plant gets so heavy that it starts to lean. That creates a problem but i just put other pots around it so it does not fall over. I am like u. If it is healthy and blooms i hate to repot it.
I just love orchids and when i was younger i never bothered with them cause i thought it would not grow in Wis. I brought all mine up from Fl and they r all doing great so far. Been only up here three years and a lot of times it takes a long time for a orchid to die. Then sometimes they will die within a few weeks. I thought i had lost all my vandas but now that they r outdoors in heavy shade they r all getting new roots. U just never know.

dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Do you have any babies from that one? I will trade for something. None of mine have babies. Right now the new pink one is opening on one blossom.

Will post when it does.. It is a phil, also .

thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I dont have any babies from that one yet. In fact i dont really have any babies from any of my Phals at the moment. I got rid of the one i had. They dont get kikis as easy as Dendrobiums do. I have a dend that is always getting kikis but once i cut them off it is hard to keep them growing. I have two growing and in bloom now including the mother plant which i have had for over 8 years. I will find a picture and post it here so u can see what that one is. I have some babies from another orchid but not sure what it is called. I dont even know the name of it. I have lost all the names to my orchids which makes me sad as i like to know what they r. The last ones i have boughten didnt even have a name. Just Species Phal.

dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Did you want to give the extra unknown baby to a good home?

I am a taker.. blush

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,876
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image