Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#224056 Jul 25th, 2008 at 07:22 AM
gwhalh Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm pretty sure that what I have all over my garden is eggplant. Not positive though. Does anyone have a picture of the plant itself that I can compare to? I planted several seeds (a whole packet) in a particular place, and there are a lot of what i think are eggplants growing there, but the same plant is scattered throughout the rest of the garden. Not sure if birds might have done this or if they got "washed" to the other areas during watering. Any help or ideas would be appreciated!

Annette

gwhalh #224495 Jul 27th, 2008 at 06:31 AM
Here is a picture of an eggplant variety Im growing this year- maybe it will help you. This Variety is called Fengyuan Purple- it is an Asian style eggplant- the leaves and stem will look more purple then the typical eggplant, but the general leaf, and stem shape is the same. The stems tend to turn woody as the plant gets bigger. Hope it helps.

[Linked Image]

gwhalh #224553 Jul 27th, 2008 at 11:59 AM
Let me retry the pic- the hosting site went down from the first one.

[Linked Image]

DeepCreekLake #225279 Jul 30th, 2008 at 09:39 PM
gwhalh Offline OP
OP Offline
It looks kinda like it....but someone sent me a link to a plant called "Datura" and it's a dead ringer for it. According to everything I managed to dig up (no pun intended!), Datura is extremely poisonous...and now I have to figure out how to get it out of my veggie garden without harming the veggies surrounding them.

Funny thing, though...

These plants are growing exactly where I planted the eggplant seeds. Is it possible that the wrong seeds were put in the packet??? I know it sounds far fetched, but these plants never grew in this spot before we put in the garden. They didn't start growing till after I had sown the seeds from the packet, and didn't come up until about the time that the eggplant was supposed to be showing. Very strange coincidences, if the seeds weren't mislabled....

Annette

gwhalh #225347 Jul 31st, 2008 at 09:20 AM
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
egg plant seeds look like tomato/pepper seeds. datura seeds are the same shape, escept thicker, and are black or bronze coloured. Datura seedlings are very easy to pick by hand, but they leave a very distinct smell after you touch them, and be sure to wash your hands after touching them.

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,887
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image