Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#225600 Aug 1st, 2008 at 09:29 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
OP Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
I may have mentioned on here before that my husand comes from a family of hooligans. He has one brother that has spent most of his life, starting at age 14, in prison (one term was for 20 years), and another brother that has never had a real job. Neither of them ever registered for the draft when it was necessary (one was probably in jail), and neither of them has a social security number. (how did we get those back then). Neither has ever owned a house or even rented a place. They live with friends or relatives until it's time to pay for something then they move on. Neither is married with children but they do have girlfriends every now and then.

He has 4 sisters who all have jobs, but who cuss, drink and smoke like I've never heard. 2 sisters have been married and have children, the other 2 have never married.

It is so funny to be with these people because they say the "f" word and GD like there's nothing wrong with it but won't eat a meal until they say the blessing.

My husband is the only one who graduated from high school and he went to college. It's like he's an alien in this family.

Their dad was a minister and their mom was a ministers daughter.

This is my You learn something new everyday story.

One of the sisters told my husband the other night that she had applied for a gun permit and was denied because of her drug arrest in 1968. I said WHAT?

It seems that 2 of Johnny's sister's, a friend, and a brother in law (who is now a deacon in the church) went to Atlanta one day to buy drugs. They got caught on the street and the sister who was driving the car took off and left the others on the street with the police. She drove back to Charlotte and she and my sweet husband, Johnny, raised money to get them all out of jail. The deacon brother in law took the wrap for them all and only he had to do time - but it wasn't much. Evidentially even though his sister didn't do prison time that drug arrest is still on the books somewhere.

I can't stop laughing.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
LOl

I have a few in my family who have colorful language.......Actually I am the only one who wont listen to a colorful joke.

It embarresses me..
No jail birds tho.........cursers yes.

????????
heaven forbid.......Drinkers they all are.. We arent , nor is son and family.

Guess I am the odd ball?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Every family- guess it is kind of true about the preachers kids being wild... seems like it would be the other way around...
When Joe and I first got married- he had a group of friends that smoked pot and drank a lot and used the Fword like it was hello... well first time my then 6 yr old son said it cause he heard from them I told him it was his friends or our family- friends dissappeared soon thereafter.... they were a bunch of losers- Joe was the only one that had a real job- they hung around cause he would pay for the party beer and stuff- well that ended when we got married... they didn't like me much but oh well....... his one sis in law made me the Godfather to her boys too= 2 of them anyway and actually tried to pass herself off as me and use our Sears acct to buy her sons bedroom furniture... 2 sets of it... my girlfriend worked there and noticed it and knew I didn't go buy furniture that day..she called I canceled it and my sis in law still is mad at me- evidently Godfathers in her world buy expensive furniture - just not in mine.... it's only been 32 yrs or so now.... she still brings it up when I have to see her.... which isn't often anymore..... there are advantages to living 1200 miles away from family sometimes....
Nana

[Linked Image]
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
just out of curiosity, was she applying for permit to carry concealed? If she lives in NC like you do, it is legal for her to open carry if she is allowed to legally own a gun. Although, there are some places in NC that it is not legal to carry openly.....restaurants being one of those places. Just an FYI teach

[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
OP Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
I'm sure she wanted a concealed weapon so she could put it in the pouch on her Harley.

Wow Nana, she got mad at you because you stopped her from using YOUR credit card. Criminal mind.

dodge, we don't drink or smoke either. And since I quit my job I don't cuss anymore.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Originally Posted by Bestofour
...And since I quit my job I don't cuss anymore.
you don't need to? why

i think all families have their share of hooligans. scott used to "cuss like a sailor" (he was one at the time) until one of the kids called him one of his favorite derogatory expressions, in the appropriate context (he had just spanked her for getting out of her car seat/seat belt). he quit using that type of talk that instant. it is still a family joke.

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts

It is so funny to be with these people because they say the "f" word and GD like there's nothing wrong with it but won't eat a meal until they say the blessing.

DH has family like that. My oldest Sis-in-law hates them with a passion. One day we were at a family function and one of them told us to say Grace before we eat. Sis-in-law said right out loud...."we better listen to Auntie she knows that if you try hard enough to eat the Bible than maybe they'll someday she'll stop 'cr@pping' the devil" haha I almost peed my pants.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Patriot
10k Posts
OP Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
we all met for breakfast one morning at a restaurant and we were all at one long table talking when the food came. One of Johnny's brothers said "will you all shut the "f" up so we can say the blessing.

Johnny and I went to Charleston, SC and unfortunately called his sister who decided to come there too. We went to eat at 82 Queens which is a nice restaurant. His sister, Joan, was drinking wine and cussing so often and so loud that the people with children at the next table asked the waiter to be moved to another table. When they got up to leave Joan said loudly "it's ok. I don't like them no way."

It's funny when I only see them once in a while. I could't take it often.

#225728 Aug 2nd, 2008 at 06:32 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
OP Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
Originally Posted by Jiffymouse
...And since I quit my job I don't cuss anymore.
you don't need to? why

i think all families have their share of hooligans. scott used to "cuss like a sailor" (he was one at the time) until one of the kids called him one of his favorite derogatory expressions, in the appropriate context (he had just spanked her for getting out of her car seat/seat belt). he quit using that type of talk that instant. it is still a family joke.

I never did cuss. I never heard my parents cuss and we just didn't do it. I've said a cuss word once in a while in my life but after working at the Health Department I had started cussing a lot. All of us would talk about it at the HD because good people work there but we all got where we cussed A LOT. I didn't like myself after a while. Guess I don't respond well to stress.

Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
Those are funny! haha

I have started to referring to myself (since I was fired last year---for the first time) as POOR WHITE TRASH AND PROUD OF IT! Somehow it seems to fit since I live in the country. It is a very rural, poor county...........but beautiful. My mom's side of the family has several run-ins with the law and all most are very selfish, manipulative, and thinks EVERYTHING is owed to them. This is why I don't associate with most of them........they are not worth my time. My dad's side is wonderful. Christian, good hearts, and would do anything for anybody. They all live west of Nashville and I miss them very much.

Now with that said, me and mom cuss like no tomorrow (but not around people that we would offend). Dad used to never use bad language but over the past few years he has started...........guess we rubbed off..........or maybe it is the country thing again..............or maybe we have drove him to it! haha We do however have class which is something mom's side of the family could use.

Anyway, just throwing my thought in here...........at least I have time to today! grin

OUR HOME NEEDS OUR GNOME!
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
To Each his own.......

However I too live in the country, rural area, own a farm, which is much sought after......
And it is not low class or bad or cussy......
I am a respected farmer and proud of it.. No cussing here. From me.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
OP Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
Originally Posted by dodge
To Each his own.......

No cussing here. From me.

Then who's doing all that cussing? :wink:

Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
ME! haha When I said country, I have lived in the city all my life and it is a different way out here. I am only poking fun at country people because I am one! haha I WILL NEVER GO ANYWHERE ELSE! I LOVE IT HERE!

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
To Each his own.......

No cussing here. From me.

Then who's doing all that cussing? :wink:

Probably the neighbors.............Their all pretending to be High class..LOL

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
I think we can all say that we have some crazy people in our families. Some just have more than others!! lol

#226159 Aug 4th, 2008 at 11:32 AM
Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
I will be the crazy one here in this family! K? But only after Cindy.........she may want the top spot! haha

Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
I always miss everything boohoo

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
What did you miss Belinda???

#226179 Aug 4th, 2008 at 01:34 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Maybe she wanted to meet the Hooligans.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
Maybe why

#226200 Aug 4th, 2008 at 03:58 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
OP Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
One thing about them though is that they fight each other tooth and nail but if YOU decide to fight one of them you have to fight ALL of them. In a wierd way they stick together.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
You should of taken all them over to your old job.LOL
Fur flying family......LOL nervous

Actually Hd family has its weird traits too......2 or 3 of the sisters, 2 school teachers and a higher up nurse.. Carry guns in the purse..
The fight with the oldest brother, and got them for protection.

Violent tempers.............
Mine isnt that way...he dont fight with his or my family..
We sleeep at nite.. ha ha

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one with some crazy folk in the familly. my kids just went on a week long vaction with hubbys parents. grandma cusses like a sailor, and is very controling. she bought them cloths and shoes for them to wear on this vacation and MADE them wear them. my daughter was humiliated because the swim suit she HAD to wear was not only ugly but too big...her fanny and 'boobs' hung out. my son was MADE to wear these sandals that gave him blisters all over his feet. they were also told when they could shower and IF they could wash their hair or not. the lady is crazy and very foul mouthed, but not violent. I told the kids they are getting older and they're going to either have to stand up for themselves around her or just not go.
last year when they went on a vacation with them they were kicked out of the cabin they were staying....for all the cussing and craziness from dear old grandma!

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
I wouldnt let them go ..
Why humilate children, that leaves scars for life.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I've thought about that very thing dodge! Alot! but, do you keep children away from their grandparents? what kind of scar would that be?

Cricket

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
I have lots of scars for no reason.
My granddaughter is 19 months old......The other grandmother watches her several times a week......
We arent allowed to .
She is only allowed to come with mommy and daddy and only for an hour or so.

So you figure.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
yep cricket--I think you are right to let the children visit.They need to see how all kinds of people behave-(as long as they are not being abused)---When they return though If it were me I would sit them down and explain to them what you as a parent think is right and what you think is wrong. In my opinion the children will follow your lead. So,... how you act so shall they. thumbup bow

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
yea, we did talk alot about their trip when they got back. Half was very good and they really did have a wonderful time, but half was bad. all the bad had to do with grandma. After a couple of days of hearing of their trip I told them that very thing 'how half was bad and half good' and next time she wanted to go on a trip they really needed to decide for themselves if they thought it would be worth it.
(hubby moved out of that enviornment when he was 13) lived with friends and their parents...whoever would take him in. graduated from h.s. and went to college. It still amazes me. you hear of kids running away at a young age like that but those usually don't end up leading fruitful lives.

Cricket

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I have lots of scars for no reason.
My granddaughter is 19 months old......The other grandmother watches her several times a week......
We arent allowed to .
She is only allowed to come with mommy and daddy and only for an hour or so.

So you figure.

dodge, that is horrible! that is the kind of thing I couldn't do. I couldn't live with myself not letting the kids get to know their grandparents. besides, the kids hear grandma bad mouthing me and their daddy so much...maybe it's selfish...but letting them spend time with her, they can see both sides of the story. they realize she's crazy and ignore the things she says about us.

Cricket

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
We know it is......
Putting it mildly.......She is boss in that house , her and her mom.
We never say a word against any of them for fear she will not let us see Haley.
My son is good as gold to us, but dare not do any thing to harm wifie.

I always pray for strength to put that out of our minds.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
OP Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
cricket, my husband, Johnny, has all sorts of wierd stories about his grandparents - on both sides. When they were young he and the others were sort of afraid of them at times but they look back now and laugh and remember some of the stuff as fun times. Your children will probably be talking about those awful bathing suits for years to come. Some scars heal up nicely it seems.

Johnny talks about his grandmother smoking and cussing but he remembers that she loved him and taught him to play the harmonica.

I'm not sure about your daughter being humilitated though. Something like that for a girl may not heal nicely.

Patriot
10k Posts
OP Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
dodge, I think I've told you about my oldest daughter. She's sweet to everyone else, sings at church, teaches Sunday school, works at Bible School - I don't think she's ever gotten over me leaving her dad. Her children can come to my house and I can take care of them from early morning until late at night but they can not spend the night. Darbi is 9 and has never spent the night at my house. I used to ask all the time and my daughter, Shelley, would have an excuse like she's too tired and won't rest well here, or we have to get up early in the morning or something. I stopped asking. When Darbi got old enough to ask she started asking since she can spend the night anywhere else. Finally Darbi's asking got so bad her mom told her not to ask again that "she will understand when she gets older." That's what Darbi told me (I don't ask Darbi anything about it, she wants to talk about it every time she comes over). After Darbi made that comment I asked Shelley about it and we got in a big fight. She said it was because she couldn't be sure what I'd do. I said then why can they stay all day and half the night? If I'm going to do something wierd I won't do it while we're asleep (spending the night), I'll do it while we're awake from 7:00 AM when you bring them sometimes and 12:00 midnight when you pick them up. She didn't have an answer for that but they've still never spent the night. Now my 5 year old grandson is asking. It hurts my feelings when I think about it. I left her dad because he was beating me up but the children CAN spend the night with him. She witnessed some of it but she's not mad at him.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Sheri

good girl.. I see your point.
We lay back and let it in the hands of the man above.

Someone said the same as you.. Whe Haley is older she will drive mommy nuts wanting to come here.. However we arent wishing anyone bad luck..Like I said we turn the other cheek and pray.

No need for any man to beat the wife......The bag would be at the door if it was my case........
My sis had that ....Hubby was a heavy drinker.. One nite after a wedding he tryed to push her out as he speed down the road..
She divorced and the kids never forgave her.. Dead now .. But the kids are both my friends..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
OP Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
I know now that social security numbers are given at birth. How come Johnny's brothers don't have one (well one of them does now). Did we used to have to apply for something and his mother just didn't do it, althought Johnny and his sisters have theirs.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I applied in Junior High School.

[Linked Image]
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Me too

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i had to apply for all my kids
i think they started the you gotta have them to claim your kids on taxes about 15 or 20 years ago. then it was you gotta have one to go to school. then hospitals just started getting them for kids at birth

#227136 Aug 9th, 2008 at 08:29 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I got my SSI # when I was a freshman..the High school did it --the whole freshman class had to apply for one- I had to apply for one for my girls when they were small

I do not know what the rules are now

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Patriot
10k Posts
OP Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
The brother that's in rehab is draining us dry money wise. He can't have visitors every day but he can call and he calls 5 or 6 times a day asking for money and cigarettes. My husband and one of his sisters have been taking him change for the machines and packs of cigarettes but this is getting ridiculous. He says he's smoking 5 packs a day since he's not drinking and we've been giving him $10.00 in change a day for candy, chips and gum. Frances, the sister has been giving him stuff too. Johnny went last Tuesday and on Friday Larry called him 16 times getting madder with each call. Johnny tried to explain to him and we have to work and can't come there everyday but he can't understand. Saturday Frances took him 3 packs of cigaretts and yesterday Johnny didn't feel good so he didn't go to church and didn't go by. Larry called about 2 demanding to know where his cigarette were. He told Johnny he was using his change to call people to "help him." Johnny got hateful with him and now feels guilty. We've decided that he's giving or trading his cigaretts or giving them away to look like a big shot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,929
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image