Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#226799 Aug 7th, 2008 at 01:33 AM
Burny Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi all,

I am new to the forum so hi everyone :) bow

I moved house a few weeks ago with my two huge house plants, one is a Dracaena marginata and is about 3 feet tall and the other is almost 5 feet tall and I have NO clue what it is... I saw it in a shop and it had no tags or anything with it. (I have attached photos of that so if anyone knows what it is and could tell me that would be great). angel

Recently we bought a Gerbera which was in full flower. This is where the problems seemed to start, at the same time I also had a bunch of flowers in the house so I dont know if it is coincidence of if we have brought the spawn of the devil into our house :( The Gerbera had 4 lovely orange flowers but these wilted and died within a week. Now the leaves look like this... idea [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My boyfriend has a peace lily which was showing some signs of neglect and that was starting to pick up however has again taken a turn for the worst.

The Dracaena marginata which I have had for almost a year has never had any problems and is now showing the following: [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And finally the plant which has no name as I still dont know what is it looks like this :(

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I expected a couple of issues after moving my older plants but something definitely isn't right!!! :( why

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Nicky

I don't know what your problem is but the mystery plant looks like a ficus lyrata or Fiddle Leaf Fig. Maybe when you moved, the plants were exposed to heat or light they weren't used to?

My dog Bo'sun
Does the new house have a water softener? If so, you might want to get a spigot that bypasses it and water your plants with that.

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i concur on the fiddle leaf fig, and the water softener. alternately, if you have municipal water that is fluoridated, taht will cause the burn also. i used rain water when i was living in the city.

#227260 Aug 10th, 2008 at 12:36 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
agreed that it's a fiddle-leaf fig. and a nice one, to boot!

moving to a new location will stress any plant - even those that are really healthy. they have the moving process, new location which may/may not have different lighting, new temps and new water to get used to.

so, i would not water for a couple of weeks and let them get adjusted to the new location.

water softeners - either attached to your water line or added by the water company can cause a lot of issues. if you have well water, that, too can be a problem if it's too rich in minerals or has rust in it or some other contaminant. also, using water straight from the tap is basically not good to do. for two reasons: 1, the excess chlorine doens't have a chance to dissipate and 2, the water isn't at room temp.

city water can have too much chlorine, may have fluride and may have excess ammonia. the chlorine is easy enough to deal with - just let it sit. ammonia you can treat for if it's THAT bad. fluride you can't do anything about, that i know of.

the water should always be at room temp so as to not shock the roots with either too cold or too hot water. i keep gallon water jugs filled and always ready to use.

rain water is great to use if you have the ability to collect and store it.

i really think it's just a matter of moving stress and you/your boyfriend may have inadvertantly over-watered on top of it.

let the soil dry out well (which will give them a chance to get used to the new digs) and then water thoroughly and get back on the usual routine. i'm sure they'll be fine.

once you've been in the new location for about 6 weeks, you can do a bit of fertilizer. i wouldn't add it now when they're still in a stressed state.

the daisy should be planted outside - it's perennial, so will come back next year. i don't think they'll do all that well as a houseplant (i could be wrong about that though...never tried it).

Zone 6b

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,875
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image