Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#227244 Aug 10th, 2008 at 11:30 AM
KathyCO Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi,

This year is my first time growing a garden. Everything looks healthy and huge but we are only getting flowers on our pumpkins, watermelon, cucumbers, zucchini acorn Squash etc, no veggies. Everyone else in this area already has sizable veggies.

Someone mentioned it could be because we aren't trimming them? Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Kathy

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
do you have any bee's or other pollinators coming to the flowers?

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
3k Posts
3k Posts
Hi, I ave lots of flowers on my squash, but weve had a poor summer in England so things ae slow here. Our toms are not ripe yet!

[Linked Image]
KathyCO Offline OP
OP Offline
In the beginning there were bunch of bees, but I haven't seen many for a while. If there aren't enough pollinators what should I do?

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
some pollinate with q-tips. I did that at the old house when we lived 'in the city'. Also, watch the watering. If bee's or other pollinators, pollinate...then you water like the rain. it can wash the pollination right out of the blooms.
for next year, plant some native flowering plants and flowers around your garden. that will attract your pollinators.
for now. get out your q-tips and go to town! he he.
'Be the bee'

Cricket

KathyCO Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, that is interesting.I didn't plan any flowers this year because I was focusing on getting a veggie garden started. It didn't even occur to me that I need to get some of them in there to attract the bees.

Thanks- I'll break out the q tips tomorrow. Do i just try to grab pollen from one and put it on the other?

Does anyone know a good website explaining how to pollinate your plants? Some of mine are producing fine, and I've seen several bees around my house, but I've had a similar problem with some of my squash. Hopefully there's no stupid questions, though, because I tried looking at the flowers but couldn't quite figure out what went where. I guess I need plant sex ed, and no abstinence training, please.

Peace and Soybeans,

ERN
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
ha ha ha - and no abstinence training, please.

the first year I had squash we had no bees. I read up on the q-tip pollination thing. your supposed to pollinate a male with a female. I got so confused trying to figure out which was which! I just got in there with the qtip and dabbed here and there. there is a proper way to do if you have the patience and understanding for it.

Cricket

We have a patch of Blackeye Susan and they do a great job atracting bees all season long. You plant the seeds ones and they come-up every year, just keep the deer out, they love the yellow flowers!

Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts

http://vric.ucdavis.edu/veginfo/commodity/garden/crops/squashsm.pdf

I've never hand pollinated anything but I am a biologist. This site/document looks to be very informative. Among the things it says is that:

* male flowers bloom earlier than female, and that
* female flowers are recognizable (in comparison), but the presence of a very small, immature "fruit" at the base of the flower. (It's not really a fruit at this stage, it's an ovary-- the part of the female flower than contains the ovules, which are the female sex cells are located.)

So, I am thinking that one efficient and less tedious way to hand pollinate would be to pluck the male flower at its base and then gently peel the pedals back, exposing the anthers (sticking up parts), which produce and contain the pollen (=male sex cells). Then just shake or lightly rub the anthers over or on the sigma (top part of the sticking up part) of the female flowers. I don't even think the ratio of male to female would need to be 1:1-- one male might have enough pollen for more than one female.

SEX ED:
This site (http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/plants/printouts/floweranatomy.shtml) has a pretty decent picture of a "typical" flower. The flower pictured has both male and female reproductive organs, put the principles are the same for flowers of only one sex. The stigma (female) is usually a bit sticky. Pollen (male) is very small. By some means-- bees, wind, physical contact-- the pollen gets on top of the stigma. Pollen on the stigma triggers the female plant to produce pollen tubes in the style (the part that holds up the stigma). The pollen goes down the pollen tubes into the ovary which contains the ovules (female sex cells). Boom! Pollination!!

The "fruit" (squash, etc.) we harvest is actually a matured ovary. The seeds inside the fruit are the fertilized ovules.

When you think of it, fertilization in plants isn't a whole lot different than in humans!

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image