Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
I'm looking to start growing plants indoors. I currently don't have any but I'd like to grow some to help brighten up my girlfriend and I's new house and my office at work. I've been reading about some easy-to-grow indoor plants like the Jade and would be very grateful if someone could send me some cuttings of the jade plant or another that would be good for beginners growing inside/in an office. Any cuttings would be greatly appreciated!

joseph
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
obsesssis, you can get nice starter plants at walmart and home depot for less than postage.

good starters are jades, peace lily, pothos, philodendron, various dracaena, various ferns, and sanseveira (snake plant/mother in law's tongue), various ficus, and spider/airplane plant.

i got several nice plants for $2-$3 yesterday in fact.

OP Offline
walmart? sounds good i'll go check it out.

i've got a pothos cutting that i have in water that i'm going to grow. i'll go check out walmart here in omaha. thanks for the tip.

joseph
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
lowe's and home depot also have decent priced plants (aka cheap) and sears hardware if there's one by you that has a garden center.

i agree with all of the above plants. i'll add in cacti and succulents (usually grouped together in the displays). they basically thrive on direct sunlight and being forgotten.

Zone 6b
OP Offline
wow, $10 for a flat rate box at USPS? i used to send stuff to people all the time through priority mail for $4........yeah i guess it'd be cheaper to find it locally I thought shipping was still cheap. when/why did they raise the price so much? can you still send stuff in your own box for cheaper?

edit: i went to a local nursery on my lunch break and got a 'baby jade' plant and another jade that was unnamed....i looked around and think it might be 'gollum' jade? the leaves are kind of tubular, curling in on the edges. do you know the name?

i also got a couple succulents for $1.25 a piece, a kalanchoe fedtschenkoi margarita and something called 'hardy living stone'.

Last edited by obsessis; Aug 12th, 2008 at 10:01 AM.

joseph
Thanks for the great ideas !!! I've been needing to spruce up my new "office area" and have some nice sunny space to work with. I had to give away all my plants when I moved to a small apartment and I've grieved them ever since. Working with my plants was always a major stress reliever for me and now that I have this new space I intend to use it. Any more ideas for indoor plants would be appreciated. Would like something with color........not just green.

OP Offline
look into succulents. from what i understand they are cactus-like plants and they come in all different colors and some flower. i found a bunch at a local Lowe's today.

joseph
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
cacti are succulents. not all succulents are cacti!

in general, succulents are VERY easy to care for - they don't need watering every week like regular houseplants do. cacti and euphorbia are even better...they barely need watering at all (most of them, anyway).

Zone 6b
thank you so much

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image