Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#228397 Aug 14th, 2008 at 09:06 AM
OP Offline
I am new to this web site so please bear with me while I stumble through getting use to using it. I am a Georgia resident and I am in hopes that someone here can help me save my azealia's. We have had a terrible drought this year and they have suffered. There were hardly any blooms this year from most everyone I know. I want to cut them back but I'm afraid if they are in a fragile state it will permanently damage them and they will die. Does anyone know if pruning now will do them more harm than good. Or should I just let nature take it's coarse and leave them alone and hope for better results next year? Your help will be deeply appreciated.

cathyraye #228435 Aug 14th, 2008 at 12:13 PM
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Do not cut them back now!

First-- what kind of azaleas do you have? Generally speaking, they are going to be the small, low-ish to the ground, with small blooms about 1-2' height kind OR the much larger (getting a big as 6-8' tall) with very large flowers kind.

In any case, if you had no flowers this year, it's not because you are having a drought THIS year. Azaleas bloom on last year's growth-- so it's last year's weather & environment that mattered. This is the reason one prunes azaleas right after they bloom, so that the plant can grow new growth for next year's blooms. As far south as Georgia, I'd guess you shouldn't prune after July 1 at the latest (this might even be too late). Point is-- if you prune NOW, you are sure to have no flowers next year, either.

I take it that by "suffering" you mean that leaves are turning yellow and falling off. It's been a while since I lived down south & had azaleas, but I wouldn't blame it all on the drought. A stressed plant is more prone to pest invasions and disease. Be sure that they are mulched well (pine straw), and that you're soaking them with water every week or so. Beyond that, I suggest you check out Georgia's Ag Extension office. Usually when there's a state-wide problem, they will post something on the web site for the home gardener. If there's nothing-- why not contact them? They would be super familiar with what's gong on locally. Alternatively, do you have a garden club in your community? Or a local Master Gardener? They too should be able to offer you more concrete advise if no one here is able to.

Good luck. I miss azaleas!

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image