Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#228430 Aug 14th, 2008 at 10:52 AM
OP Offline
Hi everyone,
I'm planning an indoor wedding for April 16, 2009. The ceremony is intercultural, and so my fiance and I are trying to come up with some creative ideas that could be appreciated by both sides of our family. I thought it would be really nice for us to plant something together as part of the ceremony, but since we'll be indoors we can't do a tree planting. Does anyone have any ideas? Are there any two beautiful houseplants that we could plant together in the same pot? Any other thoughts? I really like the concept but I'm having a hard time figuring out how we would make it work without being outside and without getting really dirty in our fancy duds!
Thanks,
Jaime

Jaimefaye #228443 Aug 14th, 2008 at 02:20 PM
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
How about planting a seed? Or sowing seeds that could be transplanted later? I'm trying to make some metaphorical reference to the fact that you two would, together, be instrumental in helping to bring forth a new being-- the two of you as one-- represented by this seed you plant. Geeze-- I'm trying hard! I'm almost tempted to suggest the two of you hand pollinate a flower to produce a seed... . But that sounds a bit wacky.

Actually-- now that I think of it, maybe there's a beautiful plant with an imperfect flower (an individual flower is either a male or female flower, but not both). You'd bring the female, he'd the male, you could do a ceremonious hand pollination and hope that it results in a seed(s) which you could plant on a (one month?) anniversary. Some fruit trees have imperfect flowers.

Any one out there have any other idea? This is a fun question.

Good luck, Jaime!

Marica

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Marica #228446 Aug 14th, 2008 at 02:52 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
you could indeed plant something !!

My niece and her new husband gave little spruce seedlings as thank you gifts when they got married, they were only about 6 inches long.

So a small thing like that would not require more than a small flower pot, and the dirt in that could be prepared weeks before time. All you would need to plant it (or them) would be a pencil and one or 2 finger tips. all you would need to clean up would be a 'wet one' or two.--no muss no fuss.

The seedlings would be happy in their new "pot home" until the two of you had a place of your own to plant it/them.

I do not know where they got the seedlings but I would be happy to find out if you are interested.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #228511 Aug 15th, 2008 at 01:50 AM
Hi!

Though this is not planting a seed, it is an idea that I saw at a wedding my husband and I attended just last week. They did something that I have not seen before, but I thought was nice. The ceremony was outside, and they had 3 vases on a table between the two of them. one vase had the bride's name engraved, one had the groom's name and the middle vase had the new last name. Each vase was filled with a different color of sand and when they were married, they combined the two, indicating that it could not be sepearted. Much like the breaking of the glass in a Jewish ceremony. You could combine wildflower seeds and then plant them later. No mess, nobody gets their hands dirty, and yet you get what you want.

Just an idea.

Carol

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Hi jamiefaye
Congrats on your up coming wedding!

I think your thought on this is really a cool idea!!!

here's my thought..........

Instead of using pots with soil,, Use decorative clear vases, huge fluted glasses, any size and shape/ color of choice,, ( Petsmart stores have really nice shaped ones that are sold for Beta fish, ) And you can add your choice of crystals, stones, clear or colored aquarium rock, pebbles etc to add to your wedding color theme.
I've seen the lucky bamboo used as center pieces at weddings, The curly ones represents $$ the straight ones represent good fortune and Strength of endurance. Heart-Leaf Philodendron( representing 'continuous' growth) have grown for me in water as well! These would combine well enough,, showing tall in the center( bamboo) and one each of the Heart Philodendron starters on each side or together in the front center draping over the edge of the container.
You two could each place some Rock/ crystals of choice to the bottom or have some already in the bottom of your container(,representing a Strong foundation ) than add a lucky bamboo plant and a starter each of the heart Philodendron then adding more rock* to secure the plants in place* and using a decorative pitcher of spring water ~ together you both pour the water into your container ( representing unity of nourishment to your marriage ) ,, Waalaaaaaaa No soil No mess and using Glass and decorative rock with sure be pretty and clean for a wedding! :wink:

Plz let us know what you decide to do,, and glad you found us here at the GH,, Stick around!! grin

Plants and flowers in wedding traditionally symbolizes health and growth either personally or in the spirit. Some good luck flowers include magnolias, iris, peony, lotus, and chrysanthemum and plum blossoms. Magnolias bring feminine beauty, Lotus brings good luck and purity, Chrysanthemums and plum blossoms are lucky and symbolize living an easy life.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,904
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image