Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#228600 Aug 15th, 2008 at 03:23 PM
OP Offline
Hi from Steve in Australia, I live near Ballarat in Victoria on 17 acres of wind swept sandy soil. My interest in gardening only goes back a short time and is focussed on growing vegies to save money. I get a lot of good advice from the local farmers on the use of chemical fertilizers but the use of organic matter appeals to me,I have unlimited access to sheep manure. The kids bag and sell it on ebay for pocket money, thats where my user name comes from. steve

ewepootoo #228626 Aug 15th, 2008 at 07:00 PM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Hi Steve ~

Welcome to the forum! I'm glad you found us!

When you have the chance, do browse this site and visit all the interesting forums. We have many terrific vegetable growers here; lots of organic gardeners, too.

I live on the coast of Maine, in the far northeastern USA. Our sandy soil is beach related, so I think I understand what you are dealing with.

Visit often.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Merme #228635 Aug 15th, 2008 at 07:34 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
welcome, ewetoopoo! we have had several new members lately with great creative names! HOW FUN!
I'm from Texas and have been doing organic gardening for about a year now. We're not extreamly sandy here where I'm at, but we do have clay sometimes as little as a few inches beneath the surface.
Glad to have you, mate!

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket #228693 Aug 16th, 2008 at 07:16 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Hi Steve,

I'm proving sandy soil just like improving clay soil begins with adding organic matter and it sounds like you have that in plentiful supply. Let it age a year before you add it to the garden. If you want while you are aging it put any grass and leaves you have in it. That will also decompose into a great compost.

Once you have about 50 percent sand and 50 percent bio matter then you can add clay. You are looking for equal parts of all three for your soil mixture.

Just don't add the clay before the bio mattter or you will get cement.

Welcome to the forum.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #228698 Aug 16th, 2008 at 07:31 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
wavy welcome

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image