Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#229750 Aug 21st, 2008 at 03:20 PM
OP Offline
Hello everyone,
I hope someone can offer some advice...I have a LARGE black walnut tree (at least 200 yrs old) that the weight of a bottom limb has caused it to break off at the tree trunk. I don't have a camera to post a picture but it is split into the tree and I really hope to save the tree from anymore damage. Do I just cut it off as close to the trunk as possiable?...anything I need to apply to the damaged area? I do not have the money to hire an expert in this field.
Thank you,
Debbie

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Yes, Get it cut as close to the tree as possible. Your local nursery will be able to give you ideas on what might work to paint on the 'wound' to keep out diseases. The rest is just pray. Last winter was very hard on two of my black walnuts. One came out of the ground altogether and the other lost a great deal of it's crown. The bonus is that the wood makes excellent firewood.
Good luck

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #229841 Aug 21st, 2008 at 05:43 PM
OP Offline
Thank you for your help. This tree, as well as a few others, has so much emotional value to me, I could not stand to let them be cut down. I bought 10 acres of my parents estate in 2006 and already have to let over 100 acres go because I can not afford to purchase them. This tree is so important to me that it is almost shamefull! Once again...Thank you!
Debbie

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,893
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image