Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#229694 Aug 21st, 2008 at 08:35 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
my daughter asked me to go to her house last night.

they have this bed, in front of their house. full sun over half the day.
[Linked Image]

here is the whole view
[Linked Image]

it had hydranges on either side of the indian hawthorn,put in at the same time, same size plants. one grew, one regressed (she dug it up and gave it to me, but i put it in the mcdonald's cup to put in the photo so you could see the size difference.
[Linked Image]

the only thing i can see that is relevant is that they are both eat up with these holey spots. the smaller one is eat up more than the bigger one.
[Linked Image]

the roots on the little one didn't look eaten or root bound.
her other question was that the big one hasn't bloomed. it was in bloom when they put it in. i think it will bloom next year, not worried about that, although she is.

i've never had hydrangea trouble before why

#229696 Aug 21st, 2008 at 08:37 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Well, it might be getting too much shade than what the others are or it could also be from too much water run off...does the water run down into that corner?

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #229704 Aug 21st, 2008 at 08:52 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
it does tam. i thought of that. but she waters also, and they wash their cars near there, so they get a good soak at least once a week.

i did notice looking at the pictures that the indian hawthorn has one slightly smaller than the other too. may be the run off or lack there of.

#229707 Aug 21st, 2008 at 08:54 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
They also seem to be planted very close...maybe they are competing for root space? and the weaker ones are getting the short end..

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Sunflowers #229951 Aug 22nd, 2008 at 05:11 AM
I call my hydrangeas "monsters" because they grow so much so fast. So I will tell you about how they are situated. Hydrangeas do not like hot afternoon sun. Mine only get morning sun. I like them to be blue so I feed them Hollytone fertilizer. I usually can rely on rainwater alone but this year we've had less rain so they have been watered minimally. I made a mistake when I planted them and put them next to the house in front of windows. They grow so tall they cover the windows and I have to cut them back a couple times a year.

My dog Bo'sun
skippy #229967 Aug 22nd, 2008 at 07:29 AM
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
I think those are leaf spots, and if they are, they are just a cosmetic issue. I found this for you:
"In general hydrangeas want two things, moisture and shade. However too much of either is not a good thing. An oft-made mistake is the placement of Hydrangeas in too heavy a shade. Most are happier with a good dose of direct sun, dappled all day or with a morning sun exposure. Even Paniculata and Arborescens which are sun loving look better in flower and leaf if given a shady respite in the afternoon. No hydrangeas tolerate drought, though the thirstiest are the big leaved Macrophyllas that transpire rapidly on hot summer days and can wilt even when the soil about them is moist. Soils which are kept overly wet can compact, lose aeration and ultimately damage the Hydrangeas for whom the extra water was intended.

Soils should be well amended so as to accommodate the very fine root systems, and to preserve moisture. And, hydrangeas benefit from organic mulches and annual feeding though they can be quite successful without additional fertilizers. Pay attention to the soil pH! Hydrangeas tolerate a range of pH from 5.0 to 7.5, right into the alkaline range, and we are often adjusting the soil pH to alter flower color. But too high a pH can be detrimental to the plants; watch for signs of chlorosis or yellowing leaves, which can indicate a soil too alkaline for the proper uptake of nutrients. For more specific guidance on each group, don't miss our comments on culture under each class description."
(http://www.vintagegardens.com/hydro_care.html)

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
kennyso #237767 Oct 9th, 2008 at 08:00 PM
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
Hey yall another hydrangea problem mine is alot like jiffys. But my hydrangea is getting the balk spot it gets its what when the leaves start to wilt and i stick my finger in the soil to see if it's dry.... I transplanted it in the end of july when we moved and it as this black spot all over i pluck of the affected leavs and new elaves grow back and then they get the black spot then it dies... Ive tried treating this with systeic products and other fungicide type thigns nothing is working it gets full direct sun alomst allday should I move it? and my grandma's get the same thing but she sprays fungiscide and it works for her but for me ntohing... just more dispair.. should I cut it down... its lest then a foot high already and it has bare stalks and everything... should i throw it out? idk... any help will be deeply appreciated!

pleaseee... Betty Crocker aint got nothing on me =)
toposh #237774 Oct 9th, 2008 at 08:07 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
when this one dies back for winter, i'm going to cut it back. i don't know if they die back in south florida the way they do here and in nw florida (think pensacola).

i do know that a bunch of problems can be fixed just by a good winter freeze. and they will come back usually!

#237945 Oct 10th, 2008 at 07:17 PM
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
nooo they dont die back down here.. my grandma just cuts heres back... i think i will just go ahead and do it when i get home from my grandmas it has all kinds of unsightly spots... and bare spots... its horrible maybe ill put it in a darn pot! lol!

toposh #237974 Oct 11th, 2008 at 06:16 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
mine is in a pot now. and looks so much better.

#238052 Oct 11th, 2008 at 02:57 PM
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
yea im thinking that's what ill do What kind of spot do you have it in?

toposh #238056 Oct 11th, 2008 at 03:31 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
about half shade.

#238908 Oct 17th, 2008 at 12:59 PM
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
Hey jiffy my hdrangea is doing so much better! it's only been 2 days since i put it in the pot but already i see tons of improvement no black spots on any of some new leaves the baby leaves arent burning up and it has so many more leave shoots on it already! im so giddy!

toposh #239082 Oct 18th, 2008 at 11:07 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
thumbup i'm thinking i need to get mine in the ground before we get a good freeze. i'll try to do that this week. it is looking so much better. and i'm glad your's is too!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,875
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image