Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#23079 Apr 15th, 2007 at 08:33 AM
OP Offline
Ok so I started some ROS a while ago and even tho they are still small they are growing. I read it is pretty much a bush, but that it takes a while for the leaves to grow out and sometimes looks dead until summer. My question is, where should I transplant them to. Are they as bad as I've read and shouldn't be put it in my front yard or is that just an exageration? Oh and how wide do they grow? just so I know how far away from the sidewalk I should plant them in case I do put them up front. Thanks

Nuria
500 Posts
500 Posts
If you are going to put it in your front yard plant it about 5' back from the sidewalk. They grow about to about 5' x 5' tall. But you can control both by prunning after it flowers.

I have seen some people prune them into a standard. With a smooth trunk 5' and the top flowering only, also, shaped like a topiary with a ball type shape at the top.

The only bad I have heard is people say they seed all over the yard. Which they do. But the newer hybrids do not seed as much as the old variety I have. The good thing is if they seed in the grass areas you will be mowing them down and they are easy to pull up.

Yes it does take them awhile to wake up and look alive.

Do what you can where you are with what you have.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/
Little Sprout
5k Posts
Little Sprout
5k Posts
I have a large amount of them, all over my yard.. not sure which variety, but they do seed very very easily..I've been forced to "weed out" areas becasue there arre just so many of them... :lol"

They are, once developed, a nice looking shrub, they can become very full..

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

THE SPROUT IS BACK!
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
The trick is to trim them good! dead head once the blooms start to fade, not only will it save you from weeding in spring, but it will give you more blooms!

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
OP Offline
Thanks for info/advice. At this point I am trying to put in as much landscaping this spring/summer as possible. I want to rent the house out in the fall to move to Ontario. I thought these would look pretty nice anywhere really.

Nuria
500 Posts
500 Posts
Cinta - I was just looking at your picture album and LOVE the Aeonium Arboreum! Also love the picture of the daylilies and coneflowers. I planted a mass of lilies last fall and a few coneflowers with them - I hope they turn out as good as that picture!

I also have about 9 rose of Sharon that I started from seed that are about 10 inches tall right now and excited to get them planted!

PattyM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Thank you Patty. My style of gardening is pack it in so I do not have to weed. I have so many flowers under the ROS that they have a hard time getting space to grow. LOL

Do what you can where you are with what you have.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,876
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image