Print Thread
Rate Thread
#231431 Aug 30th, 2008 at 08:00 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A co-worker brought these to work a while back,, I loved them and had to learn how to make them.It's very very easy,, I was amazed how quite simple it is,,,,,,! clap

you can top them with what ever you want,, chicken, beef, pork, veggies, cheese(s), seafood, shredded cabbage or lettuce, eggs , bacon sausage, black beans, pinto beans,, sour cream, chili' sauces etc,,,,, what ever you want to combine,,
you can make fill a gallon or two gallon ziplock bag with just the corn sopes and keep in Fridge for up to three weeks,,

Great for after school snack,, or as a meal with sides, or even alone as a meal depending on what you top them with!

~~~~~~~~~~~

start with Mexican Meseca ( corn flour used to make many authentic mexican dishes tortillia, tamales, gorditos..etc )[Linked Image] you can use wheat flour if preferred but of course it will taste better with the corn :wink:

She didn't measure anything,, boohoo so I have to guesstimate how much she used,,

She poured about 2 cups into a plastic mixing bowl and using a little at a time poured cold water into flour and mixed with her hands until it formed an non sticky ball,
she then pulled some out and form a ball in her hands about the size of a large "kewi fruit,,, lol okay keep in mind I'm trying to create a visual here,, lol

after forming the ball she then "patted" it between both palms untill it was about 1/4 inch thick about the size of a large flat biscuit and nice and round and placed them on a hot flat griddle skillet with just a little oil until light golden brown on each side ( you can make these as big around or as little as you want but make sure they are only 1/4 inch thick,)
[Linked Image]

after which she turn up the edges up each on ~ careful they will still be hot! (Pinching upward kinda like a pic crust edge)<- purpose = to hold toppings on...
[Linked Image]

yesterday her topping was,,,,,
First black beans (cooked , seasoned with salt and pepper and mashed) bits of cooked chicken, grilled small shrimp, roasted tomatoes, cheese fresca( white mexican cheese, ) sauteed onions

[Linked Image]

and she gave me a choice of her own sauces she made,, I chose her roasted green chili, garlic, tomatoes, salt and pepper , then blended fine, excellent sauce!

The same method can be used for gorditas,, with the exception to add about 4 tbls of oil( she used "oil from fat of pork" which can be bought at the super market) to the meseca / water to form a non sticky dough ,, after turning brown on both sides,, using the pointed end of a knife cut into one edge and slice 3/4 open to create a 'pocket" and fill center with choice of filling as above,

you can also deep fry these in hot clean oil and they will 'puff up' ,, drain and slice open and fill with ice cream,, or drizzle honey in and over,,

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
oohhhh....that looks so yummy! and look at you with your fancy pictures. bop

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket #231444 Aug 30th, 2008 at 08:35 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
It was Yummy Cricket grin

I try to put pictures with reciepes especially if it something new and different, this was sooooooo simple,, but to describe it sometimes sounds long and complicated,, pictures help with a new recipes at least with me it does,, lol

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
cricket #231451 Aug 30th, 2008 at 08:43 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
That looks so yummy Diane! Makes my mouth water!

So how many did you eat while you were there, and did you get to take any home???

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I ate 2 while I was there and brought home a gallon zip lock full of both the edged ones and the pocketed ones,,, She also gave me some of her green chile' sauce and black beans , and pico de gillo. This morning,, I placed scrambled eggs and sausage and cheese with pico de gillo in the pocketed ones for breakfast,,

to warm them up just place on a flat hot griddle for a couple of minutes,,

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Ohh those look good, I'll have to see if I can get some of that flour at the specialty store in town....do they taste like fried cornbread?

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #231499 Aug 30th, 2008 at 03:40 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Wellllllll ,,,,,, yes,, but,,,,, More just like a corn tortilla that you'd buy already packaged only fresher and thicker'

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
if you can't find the mix (it should be by the flour) you could probably make your own quite easily. I don't make homemade corn tortillas, but I do make flour tortillas and they are a snap. mostly flour and water with just a bit of shortening, salt, and baking powder. I assume corn tortillas are just as simple, but I don't know for certain?

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket #231782 Sep 1st, 2008 at 10:23 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
you can make corn tortillas with meseca corn flour ,., using the same method just add slowly cold water to your meseca mix as you mix with your hands,, to form a non sticky dough ball,, take a small amount the size of a small lemon form into a ball,,,,,,, difference is you'd have to use a tortilla press about 6$ OR you can use a rolling pin ..... lay on a hot griddle to golden brown on both sides for a softer tortilla ~ or fry for a more crunchy one used for chips or tostada, etc .

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,887
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image