Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#231695 Aug 31st, 2008 at 06:41 PM
OP Offline
Hello everyone I'm new here.I have a big problem I just bought a braided hibicus tree. And I repotted it to A bigger pot and now it's loosing a lot of leaves.does anyone have and idea what I should do? I have acouple of pics.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
is it recently moved? or did you recently shift from a/c or open windows to heat? or did you fertilize it lately?

If I had to guess, I would say that the change in the environment was extreme and sudden. Plus, the one picture shows a vent behind the tree. Is that air conditioning and blowing too much air on the poor thing? I think your tree will recover eventually, but in the meantime, all those leaves will fall off and will need to regrow. Time time time. At least that's what I think. Too much change, too quickly. Leave it where it is for now and let it adapt.

My 2 cents.

Carol

Hibiscus likes weather above 60 degrees, humid and not too much sun, just several hours a day. It doesn't like to sit wet, needs good drainage. I found one of those fog fountains to be good for humidity. If you stepped up the pot size too much when you repotted it that might have caused the leaves to drop. It will grow the leaves back if you can figure out the problem. They releaf (is this a word? ;D ) really well. Also inside the spider mites will go after it. Good Luck!

My dog Bo'sun
OP Offline
I have the a/c in the window but I only put hte fan on in the day.I just repotted it about 3 1/2 weeks ago.after I bought it.

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
did you fertilize it when you repotted? and does the new pot have drainage. and you may have to move it at night if the a/c is on at night.

The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
Try to keep the hibiscus close to the environment that it was originally in. When you repot, you should only go up one size (3"->4"->6"->8"...gallon->two gallon etc.) Do feed it ful lstrength right after you repot, and make sure the soil is very ewll draining. It may be transplant shock, or as other mentioned, shock from moving environments. Give it as much bright indirect light as you can.

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
OP Offline
I shut off the fan at nite.I did not fertilize.because i'm building a chameleon cage around them.and now it has spider mites?i"m not supposed to use any fertilize or chems. on or in the plants i put in the cage.

Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
it looks to me that the plant is stressed. going from one evironment to another and being repotted before it had time to adapt. the cooler conditions aren't helping either. and with the a/c on there's much lower humidity and that's just something that's not good for this plant.

the reptiles will need higher temps, just like the hibiscus, so you should just remove the a/c from the equation completely.

it does need good drainage, so if the container you put it in doesn't have drainage holes, you'll have to repot it again.

are you sure it has spider mites or are you just taking the comment that they can affect these plants as being that that is what the problem is??

you can help avoid spider mites being an issue by misting the tree every day. a little fountain or fogger will help add the humidity the plant needs and that will also keep the mites in check. so will the reptiles, actually, too.

i really think it's just a matter of the plant going through too many changes in a short amount of time.

give it a month to become acclimated and i'll bet you see new leaves starting.

Zone 6b
OP Offline
I'm sure it's spider mites because the bugs are making webbs on the leaves.thank you for all your thoughts. I hope it pulls through.

Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
okay. your post had a ? after the comment about the mites, so i wasn't sure how to take that.

to really get rid of them, you'll need to treat with a miticide. barring that, mist every day...they do NOT like the moisture. you could also mix in some rubbing alcohol with the water - i'd do a mix of half/half. you'll need to spray that right on the leaves around where the webs are, though. and then remove the webs so you can check progress...if more webs are made, you still have them...

once you get the reptiles situated, they may eat them. not sure if they're too small for the rep's to bother with though.

Zone 6b
In Florida the hibiscus grows in very sandy soil. Also it rains a lot there usually. BUT the water drains away quickly because of the sand. Something to think about when you are growing one inside.

My dog Bo'sun
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
you know, i just noticed something i should have caught earlier blush i was so busy looking at your plant i forgot to say "please resize to 640x480" we do have that size limit. and photobucket will let you resize and when we load your pictures up again, they will be the right size if you do that. thank you for your understanding kissie

How's the plant now? Hope it gets better!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,875
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image