Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
(Here's my second try at this post). I have a split-leaf philo that grows straight up from the pot for about a foot, then does a 90 degree turn and grows parallel with the floor. I have an idea I want to try to control this quickly-becoming unmanageable plant. There are eight leaves and massive arial roots (which I've sort of allowed to go crazy to help with my plan). What I want to try, provided it won't kill the plant, is to coil the arial roots into a larger pot, place a smaller pot in the center (for space), pack soil around the roots to let them grow into "real" roots, then, come late winter, chop the stalk off a couple of nodes below the lowest leaf, and plant the stalk upright (in place of the smaller, empty pot). (Confused yet?) Basically, I need advice as to whether or not such a drastic measure might kill the plant. Also, would the remaining stalk attached to the root ball sprout new life? I have a friend who thinks that even a short section of stalk with a couple of arial roots can be coerced into becoming a new plant.

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
no, it won't kill the plant, and yes, as long as you have at least 2 leave nodes (the joint where the leave joins the plant and the areal root forms) you can grow a new plant. when you chop it off, you want to leave one leaf on the original root ball and it too will sprout.

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
just make sure that the leaf node above the soil is the one that would normally be "up"

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image