Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
So today i went and i picked up an Aloe Vera plant and a decent sized ceramic pot for the size of the plant. I transplanted it and watered it and realized that the pot it's self got moist on the outside... water wasn't pouring out the sides through the ceramic but it was moist from water going through it... is this pot okay to use? or should I maybe look into a different pot?

thanks!

Riklrask

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Hi ,, First lets make sure,,,,, is it ceramic or clay???? either way if it ceramic it must be very porous and porous pots absorb the extra moisture which is a good thing because you don't want to over water,,,,, does it have drain holes ?< that is probably more important than the moisture absorption of the pot it's self, if you have no drain holes just don't water it as much,, they tend to like being on the dry side,,, at least my aloe vera do,, Clay pots same principle apply,,
One should never put a moisture loving plant in a clay pot as it causes the soil to dry out quickly because the clay absorbs it I know you didn't ask about that last statement just thought I'd throw it in there,, notme lol

And BTW,,,,,,,, Welcome to the Garden Helper!! wavy

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
riklrask, diane is correct, and i will add, to answer your question, the pot will be fine as long as you make sure you are watering appropriately for the plant in it.

OP Offline
Thanks! the pot does have a drain hole at the bottom so it won't be sitting in excess water. as was as clay or ceramic goes... i'm really not sure.. but yeah besides that it can drain and i will make sure to keep it on the dryer side.

Any advice as to how often i should water it? i know it's based highly on how humid it is where i live (which is not very) but any ballpark estimates as to how frequently i should water it?

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
once or twice a month.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,927
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image