Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#232132 Sep 4th, 2008 at 05:08 PM
OP Offline
planted beefsteak and cherry tomatoes the end of May in RI. Plants quite tall, giving some tomatoes but I notice the bottom branches are dying off. Any suggestions?

madcatsmom #232223 Sep 5th, 2008 at 11:37 AM
It is normal for the bottom leaves and even branches to turn yellow and die. Are the plants bushy and healthy looking otherwise and especially on the upper part. If so you are probably ok. You will learn from experience how to tell the difference in diseased and just normal aging and dying off. Without pictures and more information it is hard for me to say for sure. JD

madcatsmom #232224 Sep 5th, 2008 at 11:48 AM
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Most tomatoes (but not all) are "indeterminent" meaning that they will continue to produce new vegetative growth and fruit as long as conditions are favorable, like a lot of other annuals. So lower leaves that wither, turn brown, and fall off is to be expected I think. They are the oldest, and the plant is in some sense "self-pruning". I'm thinking about geraniums and they loose some of their oldest leaves and stems as well, but still continue to produce flowers. So I don't think it's anything to worry about so long as the new growth looks healthy.

I just got done trimming off some of the older (brown or browning) leaves on my tomatoes yesterday. Part of it was just to tidy up the tomato garden, but I think it might improve air circulation since my plants too are getting awefully tall (but still are producing).

Also-- if our plants are tall but not producing as you think they should be, sounds like N-P-K ratio might be out of balance-- too much nitrogen, not enough phosphorus. I'm not a fan of Miracle Gro but you could try throwing some tomato-specific fertilizer at them if you still have time. What you're looking for is something like 15-30-15. At least something that has this ratio. Bone meal is a good source of organic phosphorus. That alone might promote increased fruiting.

Good luck!

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Marica #232671 Sep 8th, 2008 at 01:24 PM
OP Offline
They are still producing some but honestly do not look "healthy". not bushy. :(

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image