Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#232551 Sep 7th, 2008 at 03:11 PM
OP Offline
Hi, I got this at a plant exchange and don't have a clue what it is. A succulent of some kind but I don't even know if it is an indoor or outdoor plant. I've had it outside since the weather has been warm. The speckles and trim are kind of a wine color. Thanks!
flowers/Copyofunknownsucculent2.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

[color:cc0099]When you find work you love you no longer have to work for a living![/color]
RainGardener #232553 Sep 7th, 2008 at 03:25 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
it is in the kalanchoe family. frequently called mother of thousands, mot for short, or, crying susie not so much, but i've heard it called that. supposedly it is super easy to grow, but it is tender, meaning it depends on where you live whether it is a house plant or a yard plant. it won't tolerate frost.

the reason i say supposedly easy to grow is i've wanted one for years, and have killed everyone i've gotten in those years. so i admire them away from home now.

the reason they are called mother of thousands is that each mature leaf will have a baby plantlet in each notch. so one plant can produce thousands of babies, who then produce thousands of babies.

i've only heard of one person who considered them invasive enough to get rid of them. don't remember who that was. but the babies are easy to pull up and chunk if you don't want them.

it looks like your leaves have already dropped their babies.

#232864 Sep 9th, 2008 at 05:24 PM
OP Offline
Thank You so much Jiffymouse. You are so knowledgeable about this plant. So I am to be the 'grandmother' of thousands! prayers I went and read more about it as you had me so intrigued. You're right some say it's invasive and one person said if you had it in your greenhouse it will be in every pot. Hmmmm I may have more than I planned on. Like you said I can just get rid of them easily enough or give them away. It sounds like such a fun plant and the pictures of the many MANY blooms were great! We'll see if I'm up to the challenge. This could be fun or a disaster. Guess I'll find out. All this in one little sweet looking plant. egad

[color:cc0099]When you find work you love you no longer have to work for a living![/color]
RainGardener #232879 Sep 9th, 2008 at 07:56 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
thumbup enjoy!

#232880 Sep 9th, 2008 at 08:17 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I have one and am still pulling them up like weeds around the yard,, if it's outside and the wind is strong enough to blow the babies off, you'll have sprouts growing where you don't want them,, I brought mine in in the fall but oddly enough they were growing everywhere in the surrounding area I had out side,, the next spring,, it snowed a couple of time and got one hard frost,, but I had enough leaves on the ground to hold the heat in I guess,, a couple of starts I found way across the yard,, so who ever named it Mother of thousands was No joke,, LOL,,,,,,,,, Btw the blooms on these are outstanding and last a lonnnnnng time!!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #233102 Sep 11th, 2008 at 11:52 AM
OP Offline
Thanks angelblossom I can't wait to see it bloom. And thank goodness it will be a houseplant here. The worst that can happen is is ends up in other houseplants but that's easy enough to take care of. Guess all my friends and family can have some it they want them.

angelblossom #233103 Sep 11th, 2008 at 12:03 PM
10k Posts
10k Posts
Btw the blooms on these are outstanding and last a lonnnnnng time!!!
...and Hummingbirds :ding: love :ding: them!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,887
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image