Print Thread
Rate Thread
#23360 Apr 15th, 2007 at 05:36 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
I was telling Diane that I made matzoh brei for dinner tonight, since we have some matzoh leftover from Passover - our Jewish holiday. She had mentioned that she had a friend when she was younger whose grandmother used to make it for her, so I thought I'd share the recipe with everyone here.

This is my grandmother's and mother's recipe.
Every family makes it just a little differently, and even eats it with different spices, etc. I'll share how we do that in our family.

1 large mixing bowl
1 small mixing bowl
1 box of matzoh
water
1 egg for each person plus 1 for the pan! lol
a little milk
large frying pan
Pam or butter to coat frying pan

Using 2 large pieces of matzoh for each person and 1 extra for the pan :wink:, break the squares into pieces about 1 inch squared - doesn't have to be exact, but you want smallish pieces. Soak all the pieces in water in a large bowl, until they are softened - don't let them get too soggy.

Mix eggs and a little milk in a small bowl, while the matzoh is soaking.
Drain water from matzoh, and then soak matzoh in egg/milk mix til fully coated and pretty much soaked in.

Warm up frying pan, also while soaking, on medium with Pam or butter in it so mixture won't stick. Put matzoh mixture in pan and turn continuously so it gets cooked through. I like to make it on the dry side - some people like it a bit "mushier". When it reaches the point that you like, scoop it onto plates.

My kids and I like to eat it with cinnamon/sugar mix sprinkled on it and also maple syrup. Don grew up eating it with salt sprinkled on top. WEIRD! lol why

I also like to serve it with fresh fruit on the side - sometimes I use sliced strawberries, or banana slices, sometimes orange slices, or kiwi - whatever kinds of fruit you like!

Enjoy!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #23363 Apr 15th, 2007 at 05:40 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Ohhhh Good!!! I hope my store carries matzoh!

Thanks Lynne!!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #23366 Apr 15th, 2007 at 05:43 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
You're welcome, Diane!

I forgot to mention that it's really a breakfast meal, but I like to make it for an easy dinner sometimes - it's pretty filling!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#23490 Apr 15th, 2007 at 08:29 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I like breakfast for dinner. I often do omelets or waffles or pancakes or French toast or.....
Thanks for the recipe, Lynne.
Do you do matzoh ball soup too?

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #23621 Apr 16th, 2007 at 05:01 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
Tina - I do make my own matzoh balls from scratch - I don't make them very often, but they are yummy! People are very funny about the way they like them - either very light and fluffy, or small and dense - I prefer the first!

Triss - I cannot even imagine eating the matzoh brei without something sweet. My mom was talking with a woman just the other day who said she fries onions with it - I cannot even think about that - EWWWWW! lol why

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #36427 May 2nd, 2007 at 01:30 PM
5k Posts
5k Posts
oh yummy, I will have to try this!

[Linked Image]
Land of the FREE, home of the BRAVE

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,877
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image