Rate Thread
#234419 Sep 18th, 2008 at 06:36 AM
Giggles
20k Posts
OP Offline
Giggles
20k Posts
"He who plants a garden plants happiness."

In May of this year, Lynne (plantsnpots)sent me a gift box. I had been crying for two day, and this gift from her was a God-send out of the blue! What a spirit-lifter it was!

My favorite item in the box was a hardcover book, "Chicken Soup for the Gardeners Soul".

The little stories, pithy sayings, and cartoon drawings have made me laugh, cry, sympathize, and remember.

I have turned the final page, and this wonderful book is marked with underlinings, stars by favorite stories, corners turned down, notes in the margins, and tear-splashes.....probably coffee stains as well!!

There are many wonderful things I dug out of the rich soil of this gift that I want to share with you. It will feel like picking bouquets of flowers and sharing them with friends.

To all who come and read in this topic....and enjoy it....I invite to share here, your own tales, and stories you've read, and sayings you have found about life and gardening that you have enjoyed.

Some of the titles of the stories and some parts of stories have reminded me of friends here in the Garden Helper:

"An Angel in Shirtleeves" reminds me of Diane (angelblossom) and her beautiful flowers, her many gifts to all of us, and the seeds and plant-starts she shares with us.

One story involved a woman's husband, who set out pans of beer in her garden to kill the snails. Of course you all know who THAT reminded me of!!...Our own sweet and funny CINDY!!

And I couldn't forget Mark (badplanter) and his garden....one whole section is titled "Little Sprouts"!!

This first post is an introduction to what I hope this topic will be all about, and I have started it for three reasons:

To share Lynne's wonderful gift with all of you.
To hopefully give you enjoyment.
To get something back from you to share with all of us.

I will end this first post with the following:

"From the earth we were formed
To the earth we return
And in-between we garden!"

grin kissie grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Shirley - I am so very glad you enjoyed the book! kissie When I sent it, I didn't know the timing was right - so glad I could help lift your spirits! thumbup

Looks like I need to pull out my copy and re-read it - it's been a few years since I have read it, and I don't recall most of it.

I think this thread is a great idea! clap I hope others do too. :wink:

I have a little story that gave me quite the chuckle yesterday.
I was outside deadheading my black eyed suzies in the driveway garden up by the street. My neighbor in the large Spanish style house (remember the rainbow picture I posted of that house?) was talking very loudly (as usual rolz) on his phone in his garage. This man never talks to anyone on the street, but surely wakes us all up very early every morning either talking on his phone in the driveway, or having some of his workers come do something noisey on his property madd - he OWNS a landscaping business.

After he was finished with his phonecall yesterday it got a little quiet - thank goodness! I was able to enjoy my flowers and gardening once again. flwr Well all of a sudden I hear a loud buzzing type of noise. I turned around to see him holding a radio controller and to SEE a push style lawn mower being powered by this radio control! It was going up and down the hill of his front lawn being powered by him standing in his driveway!!! shock I just about fell on the ground laughing! Have you ever seen anyone do this before? What a hoot! haha

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Giggles
20k Posts
OP Offline
Giggles
20k Posts
NO, I've not seen that!! He sounds lazy, or in love with 'gadgets'!!

Here is another: "We are all soothed and renewed by nature's gifts."

That applies to friend's gifts also!!!
Get it out and read it again Lynne! It is great to keep laying around to pick up when you feel blue or need soothed or just have a minute to relax.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Originally Posted by Shirley4

Here is another: "We are all soothed and renewed by nature's gifts."

I find that to be so very true, Shirley! While mother nature has been showing her rath a bit lately, she also still shines down on us with a glorious sun, and beautiful things to offer.

This next story does not have to do with gardening, but does have to do with the wonders of nature - this time the sun, hummingbirds, and colors.

Just yesterday afternoon, I decided to knit outside in the sun on my deck. The hummingbirds were out there enjoying the spectacular weather as well, flitting from flower to feeder, and even at me a few times. I am making another blanket for a friend, out of the same yarn that I just used for the blanket for Amy. While I really like this yarn, I had no idea just how much I LOVE it until I was working with it in the sunshine. Each beautiful color was so rich and real to me, and each stitch brought an ever-so-slightly different color combination in the shining sun. I was so happy with each stitch - one after another after another. I never knew that colors could make me feel that way so deeply.

While some knitters find this blanket pattern very tiring and tedious, I am very much enjoying knitting it because of the yarn colorations. And if you think about it, doesn't color come from things in nature afterall?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Giggles
20k Posts
OP Offline
Giggles
20k Posts
Very beautiful Lynne, and goes in this topic great!!! Yes, I think the sun does enhance all the beautiful colors of the world! And what a beautiful and relaxing time it seems you had....glad the hummers join in!! grin

See my new signature line? That came out of the book! I love it.

OK, here is my second post:

"Kind hearts are the garden,
Kind thoughts are the roots,
Kind words are the blossoms,
Kind deeds are the fruits."

When I read this I thought of all of us here on the forum. Doesn't it just sound like the people each of us knows on here?

Many exhibit kind hearts on here; we love one another, put up with each other's venting (thank you God!), and in kindness try to overlook one anothers shortcomings.

There must be kind thoughts roaming around throughout the GH...which prompts sympathy, shared laughter and tears, spontaneous gift-giving, and more.

And kind words are always out-pouring! All any of us has to do is come on the forum with our sorrow, hurt, pain, or anger.....and the kind words are instantly posted in sympathy, understanding, help, a shoulder to lean on....
a metaphorical hug or kiss! kissie

And kind deeds??!!...My goodness, I could not begin to name all the kind deeds that have been done, from any one person for another, within the ranks of the members here!

For me alone, through this storm, the phone calls from Diane and Cindy and Rachel kept me in touch with reality and the outside world!!!I couldn't get any outside news with no power. And Rachel offering to come and get me and take me home with her was precious and made me cry!!

That is why I am such an addict of this place! :wink: (Thank you Bill for giving ALL of us this place!! kissie )

Please, share with all of us your funny, tearful, or life-enhancing stories, or things you've had read about life and gardening.

I'll end this post with another quote from The Book:

"If I had two loaves of bread, I would sell one and buy hyacinths, for they would feed my soul."

grin kissie grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I've read that same book Shirley sent By Lynne funny thing is the note Lynne wrote on a post-it note and placed on the inside of the book," this book will make you laugh,and cry, I hope it's therapeutic for you, "

I've always said gardening is therapeutic for me . All of anything that weighs on me and brings me stress leaves me as my hands envelope the soil and mold it around the bases of plants and flowers. There is just something about having my hand in the earth and knowing with that soil beauty can come of it brings me peace,
One of the chapters of the book Lynne sent is "A hug from Heaven,
" Most of you know I planted a Tea rose for My best Friend( of 28 years )Tonia after She died,, I talk to the Tea rose all the time,, there have been times recently that I've been so beside my self in sadness, with things going on in my life the last 8 months ,,, that I just sit beside the Tea rose which I have simply named "T" *for Tonya" and cry, within a couple of days after crying beside 'T' or talking to T a Pink rose appears sometimes many roses show,,, and I always say "Thank you T" because I feel that is Tonia letting me know she hears me and the rose is a Hug (s) from Heaven,, Just as the story goes in the book, this story also speaks of crocuses." You've survived the long dark winter,, and if you hang on a little longer life will be beautiful again",, hard times almost over,, Light coming......... hold on ...... Hold On!
I've been holding on to faith that things in my life will change for the better so this particular Chapter has touched me the deepest .

After I planted the Tea rose,, Tonia's sister came to my house and placed a small wind chime plaque on the trellis for the rose,

God's Promise
God didn't promise
days without pain
laughter without sorrow
or sun without rain
But God did promise
strength for the day
comfort for the tears
and a light for the way
and all who believe
in his Kingdom above
He answers their faith
with everlasting love

here is a picture,,,, I stopped writing this post long enough to go outside I noticed yesterday an opened rose and another coming up with a bud on it,, just 4 days ago,, I was sitting and talking to T and Praying for some results, God answers Prayer,,,,, I have Found 2 of three of my grandsons, missing since March , I believe the two roses signify the recovery of two of the boys tho not with me they are in good hands,, and T has let me know She knows! rose rose kissie

[Linked Image]

Gardens are our Link with the Divine.......... William Howard Adams

I've just started reading another Book Cindy sent me

"Between Gardens" about two friend that are wanting to write a gardening Book together keeping journals and progress, but in the mean time one of the friends' fall ill,, despite her illness the friends continue with the book and grow closer together ,, it speaks of integity,, beauty of the earth.. and their belief that against all odds Gardener's find a way,,

I will add to this post when I've finished this book as well

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Wow--That book is a popular one.

Lynne sent me one as well. kissie clap
The note in mine said it was for me to read while I was recovering from this last surgery.--
thumbup
As Shilrey has said--The stories in it make you laugh, cry, sympathize and remember. it is truely a wonderful gift from a wonderful friend.

It is the perfect gift for me just now. :wink:

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Giggles
20k Posts
OP Offline
Giggles
20k Posts
Diane, thanks for sharing out of the book Cindy sent you also!! That is wonderful about the tea rose, and thanks for showing us a picture!! kissie

I am so glad that so many have gotten this book!

Carol and Diane, that is just when I recieved mine...right when I needed it the most! thumbup

Then you will all have things to share in here!!

I'm going to enjoy this topic a lot!!!! clap

At the beginning of one of the chapters is this:

"The purpose of human life is to serve, and to show compassion and the will to help others."

Sounds like forum friends to me!!! luv

grin kissie grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
Giggles
20k Posts
OP Offline
Giggles
20k Posts
Diane....your photo of the tea rose disappeared!!!! On my PC anyway!! Did you move it?!

blush never mind. It finally opened. scared me. blush

Last edited by Shirley4; Sep 18th, 2008 at 07:31 PM. Reason: lost Diane's photo

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
Giggles
20k Posts
OP Offline
Giggles
20k Posts
Well....it's a couple of days later...no one is sharing right now, so I guess I will post again. grin

(Cindy, I see that you posted while I was typing this! Thank you!) kissie

"I live in the garden; I just sleep in the house."

If I had a yard, or even a large balcony, this saying would be true for me!! That's why that spoke to my heart.
I miss my yard and garden I had out in CA. boohoo

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." YES!!

I would love to get to play in the dirt and smell like dirt!!! blush
Even when potting up my houseplants I don't use a scoop to get dirt out of the bag, I scoop it out with my hand! I usually make a mess, but I don't care! I just clean up the counters and sweep up the floor.

When I planned my previous trip out to WA my son there had said, "Mom, I will give you a space at the side of the house and you can play in the dirt all you want to." But by the time the trip came about they had moved and there was no space for me to dig and play in!!! tears

Here is a sweet sentiment from my book, and I post it here for all my friends on the forum.
It is this place, and the sharing of photos and ideas that has made my interest in gardening grow and deepen.

"Let us be grateful to people who make us happy: they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom."

Here is a funny cartoon out of the book for you to enjoy, and maybe bring you a smile and a nod of the head, saying, 'yes, I need this kind of tag cause I forget what I planted too.'

[Linked Image]

grin kissie grin

Last edited by Shirley4; Sep 21st, 2008 at 10:18 AM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
"God made rainy days so gardeners could get house work done,",,,,,,,, notme
unknown Arthur ........ but could have been said by all of us!

"Gardens are a form of a autobiography" Sidney Eddison,, Horticulture Mag 1993,,,,, and Boyyyyyyyy isn't that the truth with all the info we give sometimes in detail lol

" Last night, there came a frost, which has done great damage to my garden.... It is sad that Nature will play such tricks on us poor mortals, inviting us with sunny smiles to confide in her, and then, when we are entirely within her power, striking us to the heart." ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The American Notebooks

Now that^ happened to me last Thanksgiving, My brugs were still blooming, ,, all of them! We went to Dwight's parents house for Thanksgiving dinner no one had coats, jackets or sweaters on, and we even sat in the backyard after eating and socialized for a bit, but later in the early evening it started snowing shock I was frantic for grabbing sheets to cover the brugs boohoo the next day it was in the lower 70's again rolz

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Originally Posted by angelblossom
"God made rainy days so gardeners could get house work done,",,,,,,,, notme
unknown Arthur ........ but could have been said by all of us!. ...

or, maybe it is so we can catch up on the forum? notme lol lol notme

#234912 Sep 21st, 2008 at 02:18 PM
Giggles
20k Posts
OP Offline
Giggles
20k Posts
Both answers for rainy days sounds good to me!! thumbup

Also, He made rainy days for curling up with a book, and for napping!! grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Just thought I'd throw this in,,,,,,, notme lol For those of you that are looking for that Perfect guy! :wink:

gnome%20images%20for%20Bill/gnomedate-1.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Giggles
20k Posts
OP Offline
Giggles
20k Posts
haha Perfect Diane!!! Absolutely perfect!!!! haha

(I'm sure you meant that for me. rolz ) lol lol

Last edited by Shirley4; Sep 21st, 2008 at 03:17 PM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Actually it was meant for anyone ! thumbup lol

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
thumbup i love it! lol lol

#234944 Sep 21st, 2008 at 04:25 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Originally Posted by afgreyparrot
Just thought I'd throw this in,,,,,,, notme lol For those of you that are looking for that Perfect guy! :wink:

[Linked Image]

Is that BILL????? shock
shock bill steppin' out on you? or is that you at the bar???

#234952 Sep 21st, 2008 at 06:31 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
That is so cute Diane!!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Giggles
20k Posts
OP Offline
Giggles
20k Posts
OK ya'll, this is my last post in here until I get back from camp (which won't be until Sunday night). I suppose you all will let this just disappear off the bottom of the page while I'm gone....won't 'cha?? I know you have things to contribute!!! nooo neener

[Linked Image]

It's strange how 'opposites' attract. There's always the cheerful 'morning person' married to the 'grumpy' "I need my coffee NOW!" type person!! Right? lol My husband was morning, I was grumpy!!

The 'grumpy' flower in that cartoon should just accept his situation and go out there and climb that trellis!! But....I understand, because I'm like that too. I'm not human or awake until I have a pot of coffee!!! tapfoot

In life we are told that, whatever our life situation is, we should 'be content therein'. And, in this book we are told:

"Bloom where you are planted."

Diane is amazed because outdoor plants bloom for me inside my apartment, but I guess they must have the above philosophy, and so they bloom where I have planted them.

Bye! Hope I see you here when I get back from camp!!

grin kissie grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts

I've just started reading another Book Cindy sent me

"Between Gardens" about two friend that are wanting to write a gardening Book together keeping journals and progress, but in the mean time one of the friends' fall ill,, despite her illness the friends continue with the book and grow closer together ,, it speaks of integity,, beauty of the earth.. and their belief that against all odds Gardener's find a way

I haven't finished the book yet But I read a good chapter in it about when one friend took her friend for a Dr, appt and and they over heard a medical assistant gossiping to the medical staff about the ill friend in spec she shouldn't be gardening and risking rashes/ scrapes cuts on her skin and judging her for not doing other things like just laying in bed , reading and healing,, and a friend would see that it was done the "right way".and so on with more gossiping and judging,. In this book is a very good line . She told her ill friend loudly so that the medical assistants could hear it,,,

" Well My Dear friend through all the rumors , gossip, and judging and through all the pain and all the tears, we'll continue in your garden whenever you want to ,, and I'll be by your side."

,,,,,,and that's what a true friend does,, Brushes the rumors, gossip, and judgments right off your shoulders ,, and helps you through hard times and is by your side in your gardens of life always helping you pull out the weeds.

flowers-1-1-1.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Giggles
20k Posts
OP Offline
Giggles
20k Posts
Diane that is a good post for in here. clap
I LOVE the words on that graphic! And the graphic it's self is beautiful!
I love the way you curled that corner up. You are so artistic, whether with writing or photos!! kissie

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image