Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#234462 Sep 18th, 2008 at 01:15 PM
OP Offline
Hopefully this will be an easy one for someone. I have a couple of ivy plants-yeah they are supposed to be easy lol they both started out with dark green leaves but now those leaves are turning to a light green. The one even looks sickly. The other isn't so far gone but it was a gift from one of the kids and I really do not want to lose it. I have a feeling it has to do with either light or water or maybe a combination of both and if that is the case I can't figure out the right combination.
Thanks for the help in advance.
Angie

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
how long have you had them? they could just be in shock from being moved from one location to another. Ivy's like to dry out completly in between waterings. they like to be misted every now and then. and they like indirect bright light.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
OP Offline
They shouldn't be suffering from shock because I have managed to keep the older and more sickly one about 2 years the other one was given to me towards the end of the 07 school year. I have had them in a high window sill that faces east and has no shade. Speaking of watering-how often? Should I water them throughly, meaning watering them until the water comes out of the base or whould I be watering them only through the base? I love plants but am just not sure how to give them what they want or better yet what they need. There is no lie I almost killed a spider plant. LOL
Thanks again and yes you can give me the idiot proof versions I will not be offended. :-)

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Hi Angie and Welcome to the Garden Helper,,,,,

I want to be sure what Ivy your talking about,,,,, I heard people call Philodendrons , Ivys .. or parlor Ivy's.,,,
This is a philodendron,,,,, is this what you have????

[Linked Image]

There are many varieties but generally have the same care requirements,,,,,, they can tolerate Low light, But leaf's turning yellow probably means too low of light and /or too much water,,
allow soil to dry out' somewhat,',,,, But not all the way,,,,,, one thing to be careful of If you were to "mist it" is using cold water , as it will leave spots on the leaves, sometimes causing "black spot or Fungus,,,,, I usually have a water mister bottle near the plant that I'm misting so it will have the same room temp the plant is in,

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/philodendron.html

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
1k Posts
1k Posts

I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
angleblossom the pic you have above looks like a varigated pothos Ivy.

In general, all Ivy's should be watered throughly.....letting the water run out the bottom. then wait till it's dry a couple of inches down into the soil before you water again. you really can't say 'water every 10 days'. it will just depend on how fast it dries back out.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,889
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image