Rate Thread
#234552 Sep 19th, 2008 at 05:54 AM
Ditchy Offline OP
Digger
500 Posts
OP Offline
Digger
500 Posts
How much do you cut back your perennials in the fall after they are done blooming? Things like Bee Balm, and such. I used to leave them but they are done and look scraggly, want to ammend alot of the soil in some beds as well.
What other things do you folks do to prepare for winter? I suppose this topic does not apply to those lucky gardeners in the warmer states! haha

[Linked Image]
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
I personally cut everything all the way back...unless it is something that blooms on old wood which I don't have any of them right now!

I live in Minnesota Ditchy so we have pretty close to the same climate! I cut it all back and cover most of it with all the leaves we rake up! thumbup

#234572 Sep 19th, 2008 at 07:52 AM
Ditchy Offline OP
Digger
500 Posts
OP Offline
Digger
500 Posts
Thanks Plant queen, I wanted to do that but have some friends that leave everything till spring.
I had heard thats a way to harbor disease not cutting the dead stuff.
Leaves! That is something I need to do. How about mulched leaves? Or just regular raked up ones.
Nother quick question, I planted some great mums this year in early Aug. They have taken root and look wonderful. In years past I always waited way too long to plant them and they never got established before the winter, so never came back. But I think I might have luck this time. Once they are done blooming do I cut them right back? I have been snipping the dead blooms this week, but they still have alot of bud.
Should I cover them with leaves as well? See how full of questions I am?? haha I just love all the information here at my finger tips, and all you folks that are so experienced.
Thanks Plant queen! :ding:

[Linked Image]
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
I haven't had any trouble with diseases but you never know! I am not saying that I do it the right way but that is how I do it! lol You could put mulched leaves on there but I just put regular raked up ones and there. You will have to take some off in the spring. I leave the bottom layer and work it into the dirt but take off the top layers because otherwise there are too many! I planted a mum at the end of August a few years ago and it has come back every year since. Are you buying a regular garden mum or are you buying ones that are hardy in our zone because I know that the regular garden ones that you can buy at grocery stores and such are only annuals for me. why Just an idea! I will start cutting everything back soon but will wait to cover with leaves until my mums are done blooming and then I cut those back too. If you have time and want to cover before that...just do everything except for where the mum is and you can just leave that or cut it back later. But yes...I do cover them with leaves too. thumbup

I don't mind answering the questions at all. I can't see that I am so experienced but I will tell you what I do and that seems to be working! haha Keep the questions coming!! kissie

#234613 Sep 19th, 2008 at 01:17 PM
Ditchy Offline OP
Digger
500 Posts
OP Offline
Digger
500 Posts
WEll you all are master gardeners to me, I just have learned trial and error over the years.
No you are doing it right cutting them back What I had heard about disease was that if you DONT cut stuff back dead stuff will lay and rot and diseases get in the root system.
I used to not cut stuff back, but this year I am.
Mums?? The ones I bought this year are nursery ones from my local guy. zone hardy. He told me I just was planting stuff too late and the roots never got established.
So I am hopeful this year. I have to get in as much gardening as I can this fall, I am soooo not looking forward to winter. I know it beats the alternative! LOL Death! :wink:

[Linked Image]
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
lol Yes it definitely does beat the alternative!!

Like I said...I planted my mum late in August or early September that year and it has been fine. I would try covering it with leaves this year! That may help some! thumbup

I'm sorry...I misunderstood you about cutting things back. I thought you said that people said you shouldn't...my bad!!! egad

#234678 Sep 20th, 2008 at 04:35 AM
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
Don't mean to but in but just thought i'd give my two cents grin i was told to transplant stuff in the fall and give the things at least two and a half-three months to settle in. We get frost in late october so it usually means I have to transplant by late august/september. I've never seen mums on sale to plant in the fall here, but they have mums in little 3" square pots in the spring with a perennials plant label. I have seen them grow as perennials up here so there are definately varieties hardy even up to here zone 5

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
I am zone 4 and there are some that hardy here Kenny! Here we see mums sold mostly in the fall!!

By the way....you were not butting in! The more the merrier!!!

Ditchy Offline OP
Digger
500 Posts
OP Offline
Digger
500 Posts
Originally Posted by kennyso
Don't mean to but in but just thought i'd give my two cents grin i was told to transplant stuff in the fall and give the things at least two and a half-three months to settle in. We get frost in late october so it usually means I have to transplant by late august/september. I've never seen mums on sale to plant in the fall here, but they have mums in little 3" square pots in the spring with a perennials plant label. I have seen them grow as perennials up here so there are definately varieties hardy even up to here zone 5

Butting in?? Hardly! Thats what this place is for LOTs of ideas and suggestions! clap

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,898
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image