Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#23481 Apr 15th, 2007 at 08:07 PM
OP Offline
I posted this plant in the mystery plants section. I'm fairly certain apple mint, or something very close, is a good match.

It's been slowly dropping leaves since I got it. They fade in color from the bright green of the other leaves, turning yellow green (and wilting slightly) and slowly yellowing, drying up and falling off. It's only been the bottom handful of leaves so far, but doesn't seem to be stopping. There is a new set of leaves growing at the top, but they're growing very very slowly. I have it in the sunniest window - it faces south-ish. I'd like to move it outside, but I live in zone 2 and nights are still around freezing temperatures. When can I move it outdoors?

I've been trying to keep it well watered (without being TOO well-watered I hope). Will the plant die if it loses all it's leaves, or will is it something that will suddenly surprise me with new growth just when I think it's dead?

Everything I can find on growing mint suggests that I'll have a hard time stopping it from growing, so doesn't offer much help when I have a plant I'm worried about.

I really like this plant, so even if I hadn't gotten it from a friend (and I did), I would be upset if I lost it! Any suggestions for how to care for it better would be great! Even if it just turns out I'm worrying over nothing.

1k Posts
1k Posts
It's hard to overwater mint-mints love water.
Does the pot have drainage? It sounds as though it's not getting enough water. Or it may be potbound. You can divide it, and plant the pieces in a bigger pot, or you can repot the whole plant.
There's a way to save your apple mint-snip off a piece and root it in water. That's your "insurance" that you'll still have apple mint in the future.

Last edited by DeborahL; Apr 15th, 2007 at 08:31 PM.
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
mints die back and then once they look totally dead they come back. And where a leaf was a new branch grows. Don't throw it out. It will come back. My peppermint and chocolate mint are both doing what you described right now. And my pineapple mint did it this winter and is now full of new growth. If possible make sure there is dirt under all the old branches. That way the new branches can put down roots.

I never can root in water but if you can I think you should it never hurts.

[Linked Image]
tk - -
Don't know if your home water source is city treated or from a well. If either are treated try this:

Fill an empty gallon water jug with tap water. Add one ounce of hydrogen peroxide. Shake gently to mix. Let sit an hour uncapped. Then cap it. Use for watering indoor plants, seedlings and for rooting cuttings.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I do let my water sit in jugs for 24 hours. I have since I started gardening 2 years ago now I guess. Not that I didn't make attempts before that. They just weren't successful until I found the forum. I have wonderful luck now. You wouldn't even know I have a brown thumb lol.

[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Originally Posted by herbalyn

Fill an empty gallon water jug with tap water. Add one ounce of hydrogen peroxide. Shake gently to mix. Let sit an hour uncapped. Then cap it. Use for watering indoor plants, seedlings and for rooting cuttings.

I don't understand the purpose of this. Can you please explain it to me?

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I am curious also--I understand letting the water sit--but I too wonder what the peroxide does.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
it controls damp off disease for one thing.

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
thanks much thumbup

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Hydrogen peroxide neutralizes chlorides and other salt based impurities present in city treated water. Does the same for natural impurities found in treated well water. Pr

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,893
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image