Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#237436 Oct 7th, 2008 at 07:42 PM
OP Offline
I'm new to any "forum" so bare with me. I'd like to keep a few Dahlias growing thru the winter and re-plant outdoors in the spring. Has anyone tried this?

Last edited by essentialsal; Oct 7th, 2008 at 07:44 PM. Reason: clarify
essentialsal #237448 Oct 7th, 2008 at 08:07 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
I have not kept them growing through the winter, but I have stored the bulbs with some success, though the plants did not grow as large the second summer for me. I lifted the bulbs after the first frost blackened the leaves and then cleaned off all the soil. Then I cut off all the roots down to the bulbs, and washed and dried them in the sun. When completely dry, I packed them tightly in peat moss in a sealed box and stored them in a closet in my basement.

I planted them in soil in large pots in March, and kept them growing indoors until the last frost date, which for here in zone 6 is May 15th. Then they got planted outside again.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #237740 Oct 9th, 2008 at 06:22 PM
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
I don't know anything about dahlias but I do know for bulbs that need to be brought in for winter (dont need to do that in florida) but take sotrage basket you know the kinds that teachers would have for pencils and stuff the ones that have all the slots in the sides and its rectangular only a few bucks and when your ready to plant plant them in the container and stick it in the ground then when winter comes all you have to do is lift it out of the ground. Which I'm sure is alot easy trying to find the bulbs and not haveing to worry about slicing through them with the hand shovel!

-scott

pleaseee... Betty Crocker aint got nothing on me =)
toposh #238108 Oct 11th, 2008 at 07:35 PM
great idea!
never had much luck overwintering dahlias here but i just left em in the ground last time and they came back. but im in st louis and i dont think global warming has made it that far north yet.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,893
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image