Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#226902 Aug 8th, 2008 at 10:41 PM
OP Offline
Hi,

I've been having problems with keeping this Jade from losing all it's leaves and branches. They keep falling off! I posted in the past and took the advice to change the soil. I'm not sure if i'm over watering it. I wait until it's dry and then soak it and remove the extra drained water.

The leaves are free of any markings of pest (to my eyes). Is there something specific that i should look for?

Here's a link to some pics:
http://drop.io/dyingjade111

Thanks!

1k Posts
1k Posts
Did you move your plant from lots of light to a low lighted area? This happened to me once and I lost all my lower leaves.

Jades do not like to be moved and if you must you have to do it little by little. I have a large jade that I water NOT soak once every 3 weeks and it's doing great. Be careful that you're not giving it way too much water when you do water it. Good luck!!!!

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
1k Posts
1k Posts
Hi it's me again. Go to the post that's call "another jade question" it might give you some helpful advice.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Hi Rosepetal, I'm having the same problem as Jenricae, although I guess my plant is not as bad as I saw in her photos. Yes I did move my Jade from a well-lit verandah to a low-lit corner indoor. However, I moved the plant because I thought it was either getting too much sun or it was getting too cold (normally 5°C in the early mornings), so even in the outdoor, the leaves started to turn yellow already! I also didnt water the plant for 2 weeks, but I felt the soil today, and it felt dry up to 2 inches below the surface. So was I underwatering, you think? I'm still observing the plant now to see if it recovers. Is there something special I should do for it? A friend told me to just ignore it for 1 month! Thanks for your help...

Photo is at http://www.flickr.com/photos/24118673@N02/2935092457

Bettybp
Digger
500 Posts
Digger
500 Posts
Hi there I consider myself a very fortunate jade owner. I have one, that is a cutting that is about 18 years old.
I had another just as big from the same original plant .. That I lost a few years ago. I had moved it, and it started losing tons of leaves, I never over watered, but the stems would get squishy and shrivel and whole branches fell off.
I asked a nursery and they said it was a disease. To keep it away from the healthy ones. WEll I dont know about that, But I do know that the one remaining is gorgeous. Cant hardly move it. it lives on the floor infront of our bank of sliders to the deck. All year round. Cold and hot, I leave her be.
Gets lots of sun and bright light. Are the leaves on your Jade hard and shiny or are they soft?
Do not soak it. and then drain, They dont like to be that wet. I water mine sparingly, about every 2 weeks.
NEver soak it. I will download a piccie of Jada! I Good luck! grin

[Linked Image]
Hi Ditchy! Thanks for sharing your experience. The leaves of my Jade are still hard and shiny, so I think the culprit for the yellowing leaves must have been the move from inside to outdoors in summer, and now the move back inside for autumn.

My first issue is I have a small flat and dont really have a place that gets lot of sun and bright light except outside in the balcony as I mentioned earlier. I don't want to over-expose the Jade to the cold however. But ok, you've given me some great ideas. I will get some additional light on this plant, as it stands close to the overnight lamp anyway. I will not change my watering practice as I believe, I'm doing that correctly right now. AND I WILL NEVER MOVE THIS PLANT AGAIN! Many many thanks and look forward to seeing your Jade's photo.

Bettybp
Digger
500 Posts
Digger
500 Posts
Hi Betty, WEll I wish mine was ok/. While it looks fine, See my recent post .
I think it has the bacterial disease that causes the stems to collapse and dry up on the inside.
IThe Bacteria is called Erwinia, I have become an expewwrt on diseases and jades now in the last half hhour. Yours sounds like it will be fine. I wish I could say the same for mine. Best of luck.

[Linked Image]
Hello again Ditchy, well, you did say that aside from the falling stem, your plant still looks ok. So we can only cross our fingers and hope for the best with our jades! Good luck to you too!

Bettybp

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,875
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image