Rate Thread
#238697 Oct 16th, 2008 at 07:24 AM
Ditchy Offline OP
Digger
500 Posts
OP Offline
Digger
500 Posts
Here I was bragging on my GOOD giant jade, and this morning, My husband was looking at it. and one of the branches was just soft and fell off in his hand, Not brown and squishy inside just like pulpy and dusty.
I looked it up on a Botany site Of Pennstate it called it.. Damn, I cannot remember, It said to discard affected plants.
NO WAY, The rest of it looks awesome. And it it NOT over watered. its dry as a bone.. the leaves are hard and shiny.
HEEEEEELP! I refuse to lose this one. I lost her sister 2 years ago.
Will go look up what they called it. nervous boohoo OK They call it Bacterial Soft Rot..
CAused by Erwinia?? OH nooo I cannot stand the thought of losing this one. 15 years.. its a baby.
Does anyone know anything about this disease? They were very grim on that site.

Last edited by Ditchy; Oct 16th, 2008 at 07:29 AM.

[Linked Image]
Ditchy #238741 Oct 16th, 2008 at 12:57 PM
Ditchy Offline OP
Digger
500 Posts
OP Offline
Digger
500 Posts
All the reading I have done, went to Plant pathology site, Everything says that the plant should be discarded. But how can I when the rest of it looks so great! I am broken hearted. I have had it so long. boohoo

[Linked Image]
Ditchy #238757 Oct 16th, 2008 at 02:00 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
take a cutting from it. or isolate it to see if it will fall apart, but take a cutting anyway. that way if it does fall apart, you will have a piece of it.

and, joclyn should be through here soon. she loves jades and does a good job of explaining how to save them if they are salvageable.

#238774 Oct 16th, 2008 at 03:10 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
wavy i heard my name mentioned...

grin

can you post some pics of your jade?? seeing it will help me to offer help! also, a good description of the conditions - lighting, watering schedule, air flow, if it's been outside for the summer and just moved back inside, last time repotted, type of soil, container, etc.

Zone 6b
Joclyn #238787 Oct 16th, 2008 at 04:15 PM
Ditchy Offline OP
Digger
500 Posts
OP Offline
Digger
500 Posts
Hi Jocelyn, I will take a digital pic tomorrow in the morning.
IT has lived in the same spot for the past 9 years, nevers goes out. Too much dorect sun on our deck nothing will live. IT gets sun in the am. through the back of 3 big deck windows. IT sits on the floor. always has. IT is a cutting off my old landlords JAde that was 35 yrs old. I had another one as big 2 years ago same parent plant, it went to pot, soft mushy stems, that fell apart in your hand.
IT has never been over watered. I fertilize very seldom maybe once a month. it is showing new growth as well LEaves are firm and shiny. The soil is usually dry to the touch.
I am so depressed after reading the plant pathology site. IT says to discard any plant exibiting the shrivelling up branches. ITs bacterial, It is not mushy in the part that broke off, its turned to dust and is hollow.
I cut the whole piece off that it was attached to. I will also post a pic of it from 2 years ago.
I will take close ups of the area where the branch fell off. ~Sniff~ I am so upset about it. there is so much sentimental value to her!

[Linked Image]
Ditchy #238872 Oct 17th, 2008 at 09:53 AM
Ditchy Offline OP
Digger
500 Posts
OP Offline
Digger
500 Posts
Heres one from 2006 [Linked Image]
And here is the same plant this am.. ITs too bright a pic.. but thats what it looks like now.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Ditchy; Oct 17th, 2008 at 09:57 AM.

[Linked Image]
Ditchy #238910 Oct 17th, 2008 at 01:51 PM
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
I hope Joclyn can help you because that is a beautiful jade plant!!

#239023 Oct 17th, 2008 at 08:57 PM
Ditchy Offline OP
Digger
500 Posts
OP Offline
Digger
500 Posts
Originally Posted by plantqueen
I hope Joclyn can help you because that is a beautiful jade plant!!

Thanks Plant Queen.. Hopefully she will stop back in! prayers

[Linked Image]
Ditchy #239038 Oct 18th, 2008 at 06:12 AM
Ditchy Offline OP
Digger
500 Posts
OP Offline
Digger
500 Posts
Sigh~ WEll I guess since I have not heard anything, I am going to let her stay. I have cut off the bad limb up to the trunk, given her fertilizer and I have a few cuttings.
I refuse to do what the plant pathology site says. I will not discard it. there too much life in it yet.
Anything is possible. nono

[Linked Image]
Ditchy #239093 Oct 18th, 2008 at 11:29 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
don't fertilize any more. jades do so much better in poor soil. other than that, wait for joclyn. she'll be in. she's always lurking lol

Joclyn #240086 Oct 24th, 2008 at 04:21 PM
Ditchy Offline OP
Digger
500 Posts
OP Offline
Digger
500 Posts
Originally Posted by Joclyn
wavy i heard my name mentioned...

grin

can you post some pics of your jade?? seeing it will help me to offer help! also, a good description of the conditions - lighting, watering schedule, air flow, if it's been outside for the summer and just moved back inside, last time repotted, type of soil, container, etc.

Woo hoo Joclyn... Are you out there?? Would like your opinion still prayers

[Linked Image]
Ditchy #241309 Oct 29th, 2008 at 07:02 PM
Ditchy Offline OP
Digger
500 Posts
OP Offline
Digger
500 Posts
Oh well ITs holding its own, and I was able to root several cuttings..
I guess I will hope for the best. uhuhh

[Linked Image]
Ditchy #241414 Oct 30th, 2008 at 10:58 AM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
i've been pretty busy, still, i don't know how i missed this post! when i haven't been here for a bit, i do a search for last 48 hours and last 7 days if i've been away longer than a couple days.

dunno how i missed your pics! why

what an absolutely BEAUTIFUL plant!!!!!

first thing is that you do not need to fertilize. at all! jade's just don't need it.

also, never fertilize a stressed plant - it will just make whatever condition it's in worse.

if it's just the one branch that went bad, cut it back to the main trunk. even if the insides look okay, go drastic as you want to keep whatever the problem is from spreading. i also wouldn't root anything from that particular branch either. if you did, then i'd keep it in a completely different room.

you'll also want to thoroughly clean your tools. if the problem really is bacterial, you don't want to spread it to any other plants! i'd wipe down in straight bleach and rinse in hot water.

if you haven't repotted it in 9 years, at the least it could use new soil - you can keep it in the same pot if the roots aren't bound. if they are, i'd go with something a little larger or maybe the same diameter and just deeper. or, you can keep the same container and just put more soil in it - you've got plenty of room there - and the roots will have more space to stretch out in.

jades are pretty easy about lighting conditions. they'll do well in part shade as well as full sun and anywhere in between. once they're situated, they don't like being moved though, so, if you are going to move them to different lighting, do it in small increments so the plant doesn't go into shock and doesn't get too pouty. they'll usually drop a few leaves if they're moved too quickly - they rebound fairly quickly though.

one thing they don't like is to be chilled.

if this one is happy where it is, no need to move it.

did you keep the sister plant next to this one?? what happened to that one??

i'm wondering if being by the door is the issue. not only would it be a temp issue (blasts of cold air), there's also the issue of moisture - rain blowing in when the door is open as well as the door being open when it's very, very humid out. also, little buggies can blow in on the wind (virus/bacteria buggies, not just actual bugs).

with that door open, it's possible that rain blew in or extremely high humidity occured and combined with lower light due to it being overcast for a few days caused the plant to start to rot.

most rot (for any plant; not just jades) is caused by various fungi (as well as a few bacterial types) and they do well in moist/high humidity conditions when there is less than good light.

it might just be that there happened to be perfect conditions that coincideded with an extra splash of water and the rot was able to get a foothold. might not be bacterial at all...you said the piece was mushy...it just may have been sitting there long enough for part of the rotted area to dry out and get 'dusty'.

go all around the plant and feel the stems and branches and trunk for any bit of 'give'. if you find anything, keep an eye and continue checking for a week or two and, if needed, cut off the affected part.

i doubt you'll find anything.

oh, do you have a dog or cat?? they may have peed on that branch...

Zone 6b
Joclyn #241581 Oct 31st, 2008 at 04:00 AM
Ditchy Offline OP
Digger
500 Posts
OP Offline
Digger
500 Posts
Thanks so much Jocelyn.. I hated to be a pain. You pretty much said what I think.. I am sure it cause it from the sister plant, that I did destroy 2 years ago.. it was bad. they used to live side by side. I moved it but probably too late.
This one was repotted 2 years ago.. No easy feat. LOL
The deck slider never gets left open cause we have air. No rain could get in there.. And no dogs..
Kittys never are naughty. believe me I know.. They would be outta here, and I have a nose like a blood hound.
The cuttings were from a few pieces that broke off on the good side.. Me hitting it. Agh.. They are getting roots.
I normally never fertilize it but I was worried about it cause of the bad branch. I have cut it back.
No new mushyness anywhere, I am guardedly optimistic. I am going to repot it in the spring.
Will have to have hubby help. That pot weighs a ton. I often wondered about it being near that big slider. ITs been there forever. But The sun is so good. It is not in front of the door when it opens.
infront of one of the glass sections. I am afraid to move it, cause top be honest I had moved the sister plant and that seems to be when it got sick.
I will keep you posted. So much sentimental value with that plant. luv

[Linked Image]
Joclyn #246489 Nov 29th, 2008 at 07:43 AM
I enjoyed reading Joclyn's advice. I'm new to this forum and would like Joclyn's advice on the type of pot & how to repot a jade. I will gladly send a picture if I can figure out how to add it to a post. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mygirls

Mygirls #246554 Nov 29th, 2008 at 01:39 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
ditchy!! not a pain at all!!! i'm glad to be able to help!

hopefully the cuttings will fare well and, no, i wouldn't recommend moving the main plant if it's doing well where it is! repotting in spring does sound like a good idea though - and, yes, hubby is definitely going to have to help!

mygirls, i posted on the thread you started. if you can post pics on that one, that would be wonderful!

you'll need to upload your pics to a hosting site, like photobucket, and then copy the IMG code into your post and the pic will show.

Zone 6b
Joclyn #264244 Feb 21st, 2009 at 12:36 PM
Ditchy another thing that really does help is if you take the blade you are about to cut the jade with and heat it up till its red hot on the tips over the stove before cutting the jade, it destroys the bacteria that may be on your utenciles. also the raw area where u had just cut the jade u may swab every few days with rubbing alcohol to kill any pathogens that somehow got onto that raw area. The alcohol WILL damage that area a little but it is a small price to pay, you only need to do this until the callus forms. When ever I take cuttings from any plant I use sterilized equipment, thats what my horticulture teacher said i should do. I am not an expert on Jades by anymeans, i got my first one last year, but that should also help stop you from spreading it to any other plants. if worst comes to worst and its still infected my Hort teacher said you should buy a whole new bag of soil and a new pot. Take the soil and mix it with some sand and then put the soil in your oven and heat it to 300 degrees for an hour. then put it in the pot and allow it to cool. Next take your jade out of its present pot and strip the roots of as much dirt as you can, sometimes a sprayer from a sink can help with that, and then place the jade into the new pot with the dry soil. let the jade go without water until the base leaves shrivle slightly and then water half as much as you normally would. Also the water should be distilled or boiled before using on the jade. Tap water contains Iron which is a mineral that bacteria NEED to reproduce. the less iron your jade has at this time the better

RonJohn #269870 Mar 21st, 2009 at 09:17 AM
1k Posts
1k Posts
Ditchy, whatever you do don't give up on this plant.

I've been there and had my tears with my jade thinking I would loose my plant, but it's still here a year later and doing alright. Sure I have more questions and other things happening, but what's better then a good challenge through which we can learn how to help others.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,898
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image