Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#239677 Oct 22nd, 2008 at 06:12 AM
mombr Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi! I just found this forum and I'm hoping that someone here can help me. I live in Israel and my new house has a loquat tree and 2 grape vines growing in the front. It currently looks like a jungle because the grape vines have entwined themselves into the tree, creating a big lump of leaves that practically block my front steps.

Here's my question: What is the best way to go about detangling the vines from the tree with the least amount of damage to them? I could just chop all the brnaches that are growing into the tree, but that just seems so sad. Is this something I can do on my own or do I need a professional to help me out. I can post photos if necessary.

Thanks!!

mombr #239719 Oct 22nd, 2008 at 01:26 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Hi mombr, welcome to this forum! I am new here as well, and am really enjoying it. I am not an expert on either of those plants you mentioned, but if you post some photos of the situation, there are plenty of people who will be able to offer advice. Good luck!

Eternity
stevie_g #239752 Oct 22nd, 2008 at 04:12 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
It is just about time for grape vines to be cut back here in the States. That is done in fall. You can probably cut them back with no harm. And you can guide them away from the loquat tree when they begin to grow again early next spring. There are ways that professionals prune grapes for maximum fruit production but sorry to say that I am not a professional. I used to just lop mine off where it was most convenient for me and I ended up with plenty of fruit anyway. So they are pretty tough plants. The cuttings will also root pretty readily if kept moist for more plants if you like.
Welcome to the forum and Shalom!

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #240855 Oct 27th, 2008 at 08:29 AM
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Loquat,if it is the Japanese variety [E. japonica] should be blooming right about now. The heavy rain there from November to February will probably not affect the loquat that much because loquat prefers moist soil.

Detangling grape vines clinging in/around the loquat tree will be a bit more challenging. You have to cut the tendrils that clings to the loquat tree before you can pull the canes down. Once that's done, you will need to prune the grape vines. Pruning is best done between January to first week of March when the grapes are dormant. There are two types of grape pruning: Cane or Spur pruning method. See links below. I do vine pruning in January.

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/news/story.php?S_No=624&storyType=garde

http://www.ehow.com/how_4541107_pruning-grapevines.html

How to support grape vines

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,893
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image