Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#23551 Apr 15th, 2007 at 11:21 PM
OP Offline
[b][/b]i have a hyacinth that is in a water glass it has been doing well but sudonly went down hill i havent done anything difrent it was just starting to flower and thy all started dying the rootes have turend black the water stinks and i been changing it evryday what is wrong with it y is it doing this this is my first time growing this i followed the directions couled it be cause i have well water with a water sofner? pleas help

The Gnome
3k Posts
The Gnome
3k Posts
The water fragrance could very well be due to the water softener or that it is well water (since you said you changed the water regularly. A Hyacinth is a bulb which makes you wait for fifty weeks and a day to enjoy two weeks of color and fragrance,,, then you wait for another 50 + a day. Second year is never as good as the first, but try to keep the foliage alive as long as possible to feed the bulb for next year. When the foliage all dies back, let the bulb dry and rest in slightly damp to dry peat moss or vermiculite, then plant it in the garden late next fall.

OP Offline
but it berly grew so what now ? is that it its done no more :(( i dint get to see it in full bloom maby i can switch to botteld water think that will help it seames like evry plaint i try to grow in the house dosent work i dont know y i put them in the windows and stuff water them well i just dont know

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I may not have understood. You are growing it in water? Mine are doing well but I planted them in soil. I'm sure if they are trying to bloom and failing it is a lack of nutrements(sp). I would attempt to plant them in soil with the greenery above ground. Choice a potting soil like miracle-gro that has plant food already in it. Maybe you can get it to bloom that way.

If I am way off base, which is possible with me, just ignore me. I really do mean well.

[Linked Image]
OP Offline
yes im growing it in water i was addind a littel merical grow weekly to the water it is a kit that i baught it came with the bulb and water vase i saposed to be in water i swiched it to botteled water yesterday

There is alot of salt in water run though a sofner.But I really don't know about growing bulbs in water.Sorry

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image