Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#239892 Oct 23rd, 2008 at 10:48 AM
OP Offline
I found this lovely place while searching the net tryin to find someplace to fit me... I think this will fit me,lol.
I love to garden and have begun the beginnings of the new front of my yard, my back yard is almost totally edible. I have tons to learn about it all but then again, my motto is learn something new everyday and it keeps the old age away...
I am married and have been for coming up on 27 years....no children, but I do have a dog and 2 cats and a old old old ooooolllldddd bird. My back yard is full of kitchen herbs and veggies, and the front is beginning to look like a front yard, so far it has 2 baby red oaks and a purple smoke tree that I am training to be a bush. In the flower bed I have just put in the beginings of a bed. This year it was full of annuals, but I have just put in 50 bulbs for spring and it does have a lavender or two for next year....
So with all respect Hello to you all, I think I am going to be glad I found this site!

winddancer #239900 Oct 23rd, 2008 at 11:35 AM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
I think it will fit you too! Honestly I had been to quite a few other garden sites before I stumbled upon the gardenhelper. Either the members were snooty, or the layout of the site was hard to understand.

Very glad you found us, I think that you'll find everyone here genuinely friendly and helpful, and the info is fantastic! thumbup

Your plantings sound very nice. I just planted about 50 new bulbs myself. clap

Laura wavy

#239902 Oct 23rd, 2008 at 11:46 AM
OP Offline
thank you loz, for the welcome!
yes that was the way of it myself in other places. I do love the layout here and the different areas for posting. Today I am gettin my little green house ready to be dismantled for the season... so I will be back 'round in a while to get some more reading done. As I said, I LOVE putting things in dirt to grow and keep or can or whatever,lol.
winter is afoot here in Illinois.... gotta get crackin.

winddancer #239906 Oct 23rd, 2008 at 12:04 PM
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Illinois...! you have my sympathies (unless of course you *love* the weather). Anyway-- welcome. I had the same experience when I found this site. The "experts" on many other sites a) often don't know what they are talking about and try to make everything so utterly "scientific" so as to scare folks away (and I say this as a biologist myself), and b) are beyond the pale with respect to the tone they take in replying. THIS site-- or rather the folks on this site-- are a cut above!

Good luck with your front yard.

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
winddancer #239938 Oct 23rd, 2008 at 04:18 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Hi winddancer, hope you enjoy this site. Yep, I second what Marica said. On some other sites folks are a bit snooty booty, but not here. We have 2 cats as well, and 2 rabbits. Thought the rabbits might be on the cat menu, but no, they are good friends. Hope your garden goes well. Is it a bit chilly there in Illinois? Nice and warm here; it's spring...but you enjoy your winter over there!

Eternity
stevie_g #239941 Oct 23rd, 2008 at 04:36 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
A big welcome from me too, winddancer. I just love your name! it struck me funny that some of you above were saying things like 'when I finally stumbled on this site'. before I joined this site it seemed like everything I looked up regarding my plants TOOK me to this site. I eavesdropped this site for at least a year until I finally broke down and joined. Your yard sounds lovely. sounds like we can learn a lot from you too! poke around the different forums. we have a banter hall, games forum, hobbies...and much more.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket #239963 Oct 23rd, 2008 at 05:32 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Originally Posted by cricket
...I eavesdropped this site for at least a year until I finally broke down and joined...
cricket yikes i'm shocked! lol NOT!!! lots of folks watch sited to see if they are the kinds of places we want our electronic footprint attached to! thumbup

winddancer, i joined a gazillion sites, blush well, not a gazillion because 10 years ago, there weren't a gazillion out there, but lots. and this is the only one i came back to on a regular basis, so this is where i stayed. and now that i am a moderator, just let me know if anyone gets snooty with you and i'll handled them :wink: (insert a kid trying to be muscle bound here) lol

seriously, this is the best site, and it warms my heart to read the other "newbies" who feel the same way. their thoughts say more than i ever could.

all that for a big warm georgia welcome wavy

winddancer #240002 Oct 23rd, 2008 at 09:00 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by winddancer
yes that was the way of it myself in other places. I do love the layout here and the different areas for posting. Today I am gettin my little green house ready to be dismantled for the season... so I will be back 'round in a while to get some more reading done. As I said, I LOVE putting things in dirt to grow and keep or can or whatever,lol.

Winddancer, Greetings!!!!
-----from where in Illinois do you hail??? I am from Illinois too.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
stevie_g #240013 Oct 24th, 2008 at 05:46 AM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by stevie_g
Hi winddancer, hope you enjoy this site. Yep, I second what Marica said. On some other sites folks are a bit snooty booty, but not here. We have 2 cats as well, and 2 rabbits. Thought the rabbits might be on the cat menu, but no, they are good friends. Hope your garden goes well. Is it a bit chilly there in Illinois? Nice and warm here; it's spring...but you enjoy your winter over there!

Yes I agree with Marcia, to technical for me to understand, thats why when I started watching here I saw that everyone speaks regular, not technical so I can understand it,lol. I just brought in the last of the veggies, only jalepenos and roma and big boy and cherrokee red tomatoes. I will have some for a while once they turn. I like doing that, gettin the green ones at the end of the season and puttin them so they can turn. I only have the last of the rosemary to bring in and thats that. this weekend it will be freezing temps so I will remove the last of it today,. so it is spring there? Oh you get to start planting and taking care of things that are coming up for your summer. Thats great!
Nice to meet you..... I think I will indeed like this place...

cricket #240014 Oct 24th, 2008 at 05:50 AM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by cricket
A big welcome from me too, winddancer. I just love your name! it struck me funny that some of you above were saying things like 'when I finally stumbled on this site'. before I joined this site it seemed like everything I looked up regarding my plants TOOK me to this site. I eavesdropped this site for at least a year until I finally broke down and joined. Your yard sounds lovely. sounds like we can learn a lot from you too! poke around the different forums. we have a banter hall, games forum, hobbies...and much more.

Hi cricket! lol, I decided ont his name because alot of the time I run likethe wind or so it feels like anyway, plus I am not that far from Chicago... a good hour or so maybe more. since i love to dance,,,, especially in grocery stores when my grandgirls are with me,lmao... drives em nuts but they are giggling. I did the smae as you. Looking for how to do this or that, it took me here more than I can count, then I started watchin and seein how the speak was,,, yep I like this place,lol....I hope to hang for a very long long time.
Nice to meet you!

JunieGirl #240015 Oct 24th, 2008 at 05:54 AM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by JunieGirl

Winddancer, Greetings!!!!
-----from where in Illinois do you hail??? I am from Illinois too.

I am outside chcago by about an hour traffic considered. Gettin ready to bring it all in for the winter time. But I gotta plan to keep the growing going,lol.
Nice to meet you to...

winddancer #240067 Oct 24th, 2008 at 12:59 PM
Digger
500 Posts
Digger
500 Posts
I found this lovely place while searching the net tryin to find someplace to fit me... I think this will fit me,lol.
I love to garden and have begun the beginnings of the new front of my yard, my back yard is almost totally edible. I have tons to learn about it all but then again, my motto is learn something new everyday and it keeps the old age away...
I am married and have been for coming up on 27 years....no children, but I do have a dog and 2 cats and a old old old ooooolllldddd bird. My back yard is full of kitchen herbs and veggies, and the front is beginning to look like a front yard, so far it has 2 baby red oaks and a purple smoke tree that I am training to be a bush. In the flower bed I have just put in the beginings of a bed. This year it was full of annuals, but I have just put in 50 bulbs for spring and it does have a lavender or two for next year....
So with all respect Hello to you all, I think I am going to be glad I found this site!

Welcome Wind dancer.. ITs a lovely board, and lovely people. And so much garden info.
I am pretty new as well, but everyone makes you feel so welcome, Like a family! :ding:

Last edited by Ditchy; Oct 24th, 2008 at 01:05 PM.

[Linked Image]
winddancer #240072 Oct 24th, 2008 at 01:57 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts

I am outside chcago by about an hour traffic considered. Gettin ready to bring it all in for the winter time. But I gotta plan to keep the growing going,lol.
Nice to meet you to...

It takes us about 5 hours, give or take, to get to River Forest.

We live about 45 minutes NE St. Louis, MO--but in Illinois.

It is getting colder here little by little, but it is not going to freeze for about a week or so--well unless we get a surprize.

This is a wonderful Place with lots of wonderful people that have lots of knowledge.--Not to mention all the information the site itself has.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #240080 Oct 24th, 2008 at 03:58 PM
Digger
500 Posts
Digger
500 Posts
WOW We are all more neighbors than we think! I am in Michigan. bow

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image