Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#239905 Oct 23rd, 2008 at 12:01 PM
OP Offline
granted this plant jsut scares me to no end. I do not want to kill it off as i just got handed this beast by someone who thought I would love it.. They are frightening things around my 2 cats. now if I take it to our weekend spot, it should make it as far as watering and keeping it there goes right? or should I get an auto watering system kinda like one of those constant waterers. It is forever going to live there, the cats do not go there so there's nothing to worry about... but I know nothing about oleanders cept that they will without a doubt hurt you big and bad. Beautiful things when they bloom, an elderly gal pal of mine did all the work to get it to me. I really do not want to kill it off, but will if I have to to keep the cats safe.

winddancer #239909 Oct 23rd, 2008 at 12:31 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
The zone you live in matters how well they will do.
I live in southern California semi-desert and oleanders thrive here without much extra care. They are very poisonous but my home is surrounded by huge ones for wind reasons. Our cats have never been interested in them, nor the dogs or kids. There are many dangerous plants that are not as well known. The pollen from most lilies will kill your cats very easily for instance just from brushing against the flowers and then grooming themselves. People all over grow castor beans and datura, both considered weeds here and both hazardous plants. Really, with little effort you can grow anything and teach your youngsters to be careful. Most animals are normally cautious.
Welcome to the site.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
winddancer #239910 Oct 23rd, 2008 at 12:32 PM
1k Posts
1k Posts
Oleander plants are poisonous to humans as well as cats.Put a fence up around the plants so the cats can't get to it.And do try to wear gloves when handling the oleander.

Waiting for fall...
Tina #239913 Oct 23rd, 2008 at 12:41 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by jonni13
The zone you live in matters how well they will do.
I live in southern California semi-desert and oleanders thrive here without much extra care. They are very poisonous but my home is surrounded by huge ones for wind reasons. Our cats have never been interested in them, nor the dogs or kids. There are many dangerous plants that are not as well known. The pollen from most lilies will kill your cats very easily for instance just from brushing against the flowers and then grooming themselves. People all over grow castor beans and datura, both considered weeds here and both hazardous plants. Really, with little effort you can grow anything and teach your youngsters to be careful. Most animals are normally cautious.
Welcome to the site.

oh very well do I understand the properties of these little lovelies. Thats why they scare the dickens out of me. My cats are 7 and 9 years old, they must for some reason eat at least one bite out of any plant I bring in, so I do not have alot of them in the house. Drives me nuts! Lilys do not enter the house until I remove the inside of the flower. I stick em on top of the bird cage after that.
I was thinking some kind of net, and then put it in a hanger high above....I live in Illinois, here they are a house plant...outside in the summer and bring them in for winter....
thanks for answering,,,and it is very nice to meet you to!

emdeGardener2 #239914 Oct 23rd, 2008 at 12:44 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by emdeGardener2
Oleander plants are poisonous to humans as well as cats.Put a fence up around the plants so the cats can't get to it.And do try to wear gloves when handling the oleander.

Yes I know they are not nice but sure are pretty....I also hear that they drip a fine sticky substance around their pot, have you heard of that? I do tend to stay away form plants such as these, but it was a gift form a very dear friend,she says her cats do not touch it also... but mine, well they are just chewers for some reason...always have been.

winddancer #239926 Oct 23rd, 2008 at 02:17 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Then I would keep the cats away from the oleander. It might do well in your weekend place if you truly use it most weekends for watering purposes. And if it will get a lot of light. I don't do any houseplants unless they can survive year round outside here.
I haven't had a lot of sticky drop from mine but then again they are outside so I wouldn't necessarily notice. I do get a heavenly scent from them in bloom though. Another bonus.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,922
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image